Menu

writing HELP!!!

how do you critique/correct/guide/ TEACH writing if you have no idea how to do it yourself? Even narration trips me up. My dd LOVES to write stories and i want to harness that passion and help guide her, but i seriously have NO idea how to do it. i can send her to write whatever the curric says, and i know it needs help, but i don't know how to fix it. is there anything i can do?

Some rules of thumb?  You only hold them accountable for what you've explicitly taught.  So after you cover end punctuation for the year, then she's accountable for that in her school writing.  After you cover comma use, yes you correct for that.  And so on.  But to correct for EVERYTHING is too much.  In fact there's an entire school of thought that you should NOT correct, not at all, but should simply observe the errors and do some instruction on them in your next grammar lesson.  If the work is her own personal work, I would not even correct it at all but would praise, thank, discuss, and move on.

Are you doing a good grammar course with her?  Shurley, FLL, R&S, anything will do.  You could also get yourself a basic grammar handbook (Abeka, what have you).  

If you're concerned about your skill and knowledge, you could work on improving your writing at the same time. Both of you can do the narration, then you can talk about the differences, correct mistakes on both papers that either of you sees. I *know* this can be difficult, especially with a baby in the house and another on the way ((hugs)).

Another option is to find someone else who can read her work and offer suggestions. You could post some of her work in the Writing Workshop for others to comment on: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/forum/20-k-8-writing-workshop/.

Another option is to not worry too much about it just yet. As you teach skills over the years, as she reads quality literature, and as she continues to write, her writing should continue to improve. She's only 8. Right now, encouragement and continued practice may be what she needs most.