Menu

Please advise on American history text for 4th graders

Smithie

Hello folks! My 4th graders are off to a good start this year. We're classical/LCC homeschoolers, but I've noticed that they are missing a lot of references in books, popular media, adult conversation etc. because they never have had a decent American History survey (one was public-schooled for the past two years, and one has never been homeschooled). 

Can anybody recommend a good textbook with a strong overarching narrative for me to assign? These boys find SOTW quite easy and K12 Human Odyssey rather challenging (though we successfully use both). We're liberal/secular in our teachings on social issues, as well as actively egalitarian and anti-racist, so most of the popular 19th and early 20th century resources that have such lovely narrative structure aren't compatible with our family values. 

Any ideas?

I also recommend Hakim, although we have and love her 11 volume set (as well as each volume on audio). Personally, I think Hakim is ideal for grades 4-6ish, so I imagine it would work well with your kids. History of US has lots of detail, but my kids thrive on that. I had the Complete Book of United States History recommended above, but if your kids find SOTW easy, they will almost certainly find it too easy as well.