Menu

Anyone can their own salsa? I have a question.

KathyBC

I have a recipe we like. I usually buy 60 lb of tomatoes, make up batches that boil for 1 hour and jar. This year, we have a great crop of tomatoes in the garden and I've been making up little batches as they ripen. The problem is the salsa is condensing a little too much, getting too thick.

Should I cook at a lower heat, even though it wouldn't be boiling? Less time? Leave out the tomato paste?

I'd cook for a shorter period of time. The boiling must be to reduce the water content, so with a smaller batch, you have a larger surface area and more evaporation. (I wouldn't worry about giving flavored time to marry, as they'll do that in the jar anyway.) I would try that before leaving out the tomato paste, as you'll probably change the flavor some if you did.

Are you not processing your salsa (hot water bath or pressure cooker)?  I'm wondering why you're cooking the salsa for an hour?  I only cook mine maybe 30 min. or until it's almost the desired thickness then process for 15 minutes.

We like thick salsa; if anything, mine might be a little on the runny side.

This recipe doesn't call for processing which is why I worry about cooking it for a shorter period of time. I could just pony up and process since we prefer runnier salsa, but I love the freedom of skipping that whole step.

Is it just a hot fill then? If that's the case, the amount of time cooked doesn't matter, it just needs to come to a boiling point and then be above 190 when going into the jar. Do you invert the jars after you fill them?

(And hot-filling jars without processing is not recommended for the home canner, because I'm sure someone will point that out...)

Is it just a hot fill then? If that's the case, the amount of time cooked doesn't matter, it just needs to come to a boiling point and then be above 190 when going into the jar. Do you invert the jars after you fill them? (And hot-filling jars without processing is not recommended for the home canner, because I'm sure someone will point that out...)

Yes, hot fill like jams or pickles.

Hahaha, yes I was sure someone would bring that up. Not even going to go there.