Menu

Can somebody help me think through history?

I have a rising 7th grader.  We started formally homeschooling last year.  I actually pulled her at the end of 5th grade but we used the last month to just decompress and unwind.  We kept the basics going but didn't get a real plan until 6th grade.  We did Ancients last year and had a great time.  This year, we'll be doing Middle Ages up to the Reformation.  

So I know I'm planning way out (maybe too far out??) but my question is what to do for 8th grade?  She got a bit of American in 4th, only up to the Revolution and it wasn't done very well at all.  She wants a great year of American History for 8th grade.  We own our own business and have the ability to travel quite a bit so I was thinking of doing American in 8th with a lot of travel and fun supplementary resources.  However, I'm nervous that she won't have any exposure to any post Middle Ages world history before high school if we only focus on American.  Will that create a problem later?  Or, can I just use 8th to give her a deep American year and then double back with a good World History tour in high school?  I would plan to keep the 8th grade American study fun and interesting with a plan to double down on source texts, biographies and analysis when we do it again later in high school.

The other idea is to continue chronologically in 8th, touching on American (not as deeply as in the other scenario), and then do the full year American study in high school.  That's not what she wants but she'll do either.  

What do you think?

I'm planning on doing exactly what you described in scenario 1.  I am doing Middle Ages with my 5th and 7th graders this year (2nd year home), and then next year I plan on doing intensive focus on American History for 8th grade, then back to World History.  Of course, more experienced voices could convince me to change my mind!

I'm planning on doing exactly what you described in scenario 1. I am doing Middle Ages with my 5th and 7th graders this year (2nd year home), and then next year I plan on doing intensive focus on American History for 8th grade, then back to World History. Of course, more experienced voices could convince me to change my mind!

Oh good....I wasn't sure I even made sense. Looking forward to what others have done too. My two younger kids haven't had American at all so I think it would be a fun year. I just don't want to jeapordize the high school track.

I don't see any problem at all with switching to American for 8th. Not knowing the middle ages won't mess her up later. The only thing you might think about is what you are going to do for high school history. Are you going to do a 4 year history cycle? Are you going to do American and World history in 1 year each? If so, which will be first? I wouldn't want to do American in 8th and again in 9th. Just a thought.

I don't see any problem at all with switching to American for 8th. Not knowing the middle ages won't mess her up later. The only thing you might think about is what you are going to do for high school history. Are you going to do a 4 year history cycle? Are you going to do American and World history in 1 year each? If so, which will be first? I wouldn't want to do American in 8th and again in 9th. Just a thought.

Yeah, I agree. The plan right now is

9th 20th Century World History (we'll pick up right after the Renaissance so a bit of 19th century too)

10th American government

11th American History in depth

12th AP history of some kind

This could change of course but that's what we're thinking. My other two are on a four year cycle and love it but this one likes to dive in on one thing at a time. How does this high school plan sound to you?

Oooops, hit post by accident....

But then again, she would love a chronological "highlight" cycle where we go deeply into the major events of each period.....hmmmm.... thank goodness we have time to decide. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't limiting her in high school by doing American in 8th.

Oooops, hit post by accident....

But then again, she would love a chronological "highlight" cycle where we go deeply into the major events of each period.....hmmmm.... thank goodness we have time to decide. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't limiting her in high school by doing American in 8th.

You're okay. Enjoy your year of American History and you can come up with a plan that will work from there. :)