Menu

AoPS Geometry Question

Dd completed several EPGY math courses. So far, she finished pre-algebra, beginning algebra, and intermediate algebra. The next course would be pre-calculus.

EPGY alos offers geometry, but the program is structured differently than the other ones and it still uses CD-roms. That would not be a big problem if the CD's were Mac compatible. The course only runs on Windows :thumbdown: and we are a Mac family. ;) 

I have been doing some research on geometry programs. So far, we like AoPS's geometry course, but I am not quite sure if the book can be used just like that. What I mean is, is it necessary for a student to have completed the previous AoPS books? Does it roughly correspond with a high school geometry course?

Thanks!

Karine

Dd is almost through the AoPS Geometry book (she is taking the online class). No, you wouldn't need to have used the AoPS books prior to using the geometry.

It is well beyond anything my two older kids used for geometry in high school! The problems are so much more interesting and challenging, at the same time :)

I'll be happy to answer any more questions but it will have to be later---date night with dh now!

AoPS Geometry  goes much deeper and further in scope than a traditional high school geometry program. More thinking, more challenging problems, and some topics that normally are not covered.

With her math background, your DD should be fine. It is not necessary to have completed specifically AoPS algebra. The student needs a mastery of linear equations, systems, quadratic equations incl. factoring, and the equation of a line (point-slope form, etc).

I'll be happy to answer more specific questions. I am currently using the geometry text with my second student.