Menu

How long should Singapore Math take? (4A)

KellyMama

Today is day 2 of SM 4A. It's a new curriculum to us - we have done Abeka up until this point with my DS and he had no trouble with it but found it beyond boring. I'm using the textbook, workbook, and HIG (for discussion) in addition to Abeka 4 speed drills (our comfort zone ;) ). We're done with math in around 20 - 30 minutes and it seems very, very easy. I recall Abeka 4 being a massive chore for my olders - they were fine with the work (not struggling with math) but it took forever because it was SO heavy on the repetition.

I just want to be sure I'm not "missing" something with this. He is loving it - of course! ;) I do have the CWP but I got 4 (it was a used set) and they seem too difficult so I thought I'd introduce those in the second semester when we move on to 4B.

I realize it's early days and much of this is probably review, but I've heard so much about how quickly SM moves, and honestly after spending 2 entire days on place value (not a new concept for us), I'm bored already! ;) Are we doing it wrong? LOL Will it ramp up soon?

I skip ahead when my child knows a topic like the back of his hand already. Place value would be one of those. ;)

It gets more difficult, and also the meat of the program as far as challenge goes is in IP and CWP.

Yeah, I wondered about that, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything because it's our first foray into SM. ;) I didn't get the IP because I didn't think he needed more reinforcement of the same topics that the workbook provides - or are they different in some way. Maybe I'll get the level 3 CWP and start those. He's typically the kind of student that once he has it, he just wants to move on. I think I'll skip ahead in my HIG and see where the new material picks up - I was a little paranoid because this is such a new style of math that we would somehow miss something foundational doing that.

Well, maybe he will find it all easy. It is a good, challenging program with the supplements, but there are lots of kids who don't find the workbooks difficult for the most part. I think that says more about the kid than about the book at this level of math.

But the first few days are easier, yes. Now is a good time to get out the CWP, and yes, start with 3 so you can learn the bar model method with the slightly easier problems.

If I'm using Standards edition, will the IP correlate? Do you use it behind for reinforcement or on track like the workbook? Wondering how they would make place value more challenging or if it even needs to be? I don't want to frustrate him but I do want to get the most from this program. He is a natural 'math thinker' - I am not!! ;)

If I'm using Standards edition, will the IP correlate? Do you use it behind for reinforcement or on track like the workbook? Wondering how they would make place value more challenging or if it even needs to be? I don't want to frustrate him but I do want to get the most from this program. He is a natural 'math thinker' - I am not!! ;)

I believe the IP will be pretty easy to use with the Standards edition.  Each IP has a table of contents with topics that should line up closely with the Standards of the same volume (PM-4A and IP-4A). 

I've done both...we did the IP topic as we worked on the same topic in the workbook.  But I usually didn't try to complete the entire topic in IP that corresponded to the topic we were completing in the workbook.  I'd save some for review, maybe a few weeks or months later.

Having used Singapore Math since 2002, I feel that a huge chunk of its strength is in the unique and more complex problems found in the IP series and CWP series.

HTH!