Menu

Is it MM or is it Common Core?

This is our first year with Math Mammoth, which is aligned to the common core. Before we used CLE, which is not aligned to the common core. We're using it for 1st and 3rd. The texts go on and on with different strategies for doing the exact same thing (in the case of 3rd grade mental subtraction, TEN strategies were presented).

My kids are so frustrated at having to learn over and over different ways of doing the exact same thing. My son told me that he doesn't want to bother with the other strategies, he just does them how he wants and gets the right answer at the end. In my mind, consistently coming up with the correct answer is really all I want when it comes to arithmetic.

I wonder what my kids aren't learning because lesson after lesson goes on with different ways to do the exact same thing.

So...is it MM or is this a common core thing?

It's a MM thing. MM is very similar to Singapore methodology. Sounds like you want a more traditional style math, which CLE is a good example of.

The reason for all the strategies is to give the kids options when doing mental math. Sometimes the strategies sound weird for smaller numbers, but when working with bigger numbers, they make more sense. Basically, she's giving them tools for their toolbox. Now if your son has a good strategy that works well for mental math (without resorting to writing the problem down and using the standard algorithm ;) ), by all means, let him use it. We use Singapore now, and when my son has a different strategy, I just say, "Wow, that's a great method! I used this method, and the book used this other method... Which method is probably the most efficient?" Sometimes the one he came up with IS the most efficient - better than the book method.

Also, by thinking about these different ways to take numbers apart and put them back together, it helps learn problem solving when it comes to word problems or just plain difficult problems. Now that my oldest is using AoPS, I really appreciate the fact that he practiced all that mental math and taking numbers apart when he was doing elementary math. Being able to think outside the standard algorithm is very useful.

OK, take a deep breath. :) There are 6 strategies presented over 2 lessons. Your kids aren't missing out on a ton of other things because of this.

I ditto everything boscopup wrote, so I won't bother to type it all out again.

My dd hated these at first too, but she is really good at manipulating numbers in her head now. I am pretty good with mental math and picked up these strategies on my own. My dd who has been explicitly taught and had practice in these mental math strategies via MM, kicks my butt these days. She is 9. ;) If your child is already very good at these, you should fly through them. If your child struggles, I think it is worth their time to learn to think outside of the box.