Menu

Thought it was dysgraphia... NLD.

Hi. I'm a homeschooling mom of two boys, 9 & 4. My oldest was just (kindof) diagnosed with NLD yesterday. We thought he had dysgraphia but wanted a professional opinion since he also struggles some with attention and executive functioning. I thought dysgraphia was tough to explain!

Of course it's all that not surprising, but I'm still trying to process this new info. I hadn't come across NLD before, but after going through the description I agree it seems a fitting diagnosis. Thank goodness we started homeschooling when he was 7!

Anyone else familiar with this? What have you found to be and important aspect of your schooling? Any big helpers that you've found, regarding planning or "output" of work? We have a pretty good system in place for writing (scribing, typing and a little cursive). We use Life of Fred for math (and that has been a Godsend).

Just looking for any words of wisdom, really!

Thanks!

Nonverbal Learning Disorder. The "nonverbal" part of the label refers to area that the person has a learning disability...or, nonverbal skills: Usually math, handwriting, visual-perception, and social skills. Reading comprehension can (not always) be a problem with novel (fiction) and very complex material.

This disability can be difficult to spot when children are young, but becomes increasingly evident with age...the gap between the nld kid and neuro-typical peers widens with age.

My 11yo son was diagnosed with NLD last May via Educational Psychologist. There is a brand new NLD Social Group here on the board, you can connect directly with NLD parents there. That's not saying that there isn't a lot to glean from people on this board, lots of wisdom here...the NLD group is just a direct line to each other.

My most used sources of help with NLD are these two books, by Pamela Tanguay:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nonverbal%20learning%20disability%20at%20home

However, I think I will buy this one (used) today:

url=http://www.amazon.com/Special-Kind-Brain-Nonverbal-Disability/dp/1843107627/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1376425134&sr=8-4&keywords=nonverbal+learning+disability+at+home#reader_1843107627]

As per homeschool, I accommodate just about every subject with regards to NLD. I read aloud ALOT because his auditory attention is stronger than when reading silently. We use audiobooks...ALOT. I have had to give him add/sub tables chart, or access to a calculator so he can move forward in math. He is currently in 3rd grade math, but will be going into 6th grade. I scribe for him

exclusively. He just does not write...at all, if avoidable. The Ed Psych recommended assistive technology, like Dragon-Naturally Speaking. We bought it, but still have to figure out how to set it up. :p Yeah, mom and dad not too techy here. Interest-led learning is the easiest to approach with my son. Because he has ADHD as a co-morbid (along with) to NLD, I/he needs all the help we can get. He focuses longer/better with greater retention when pursuing a natural interest. Think, "Inquiry-Based Learning"or "Delight-Directed" My son doesn't do well with being fed information that doesn't spark a fire within.

I have recently been steering him towards more model building. Even though NLD kids usually have poor fine-motor and tactile learning skills which make this a challenge, I have been successfully using them with my son. It keeps him engaged (like a fidget) while working on content he finds less interesting. It's also therapeutic hand-work and produces a concrete model of the concept being presented, which lends greatly to understanding. Not hands-on activities as a goal in itself, but one that illuminates concepts and teaches concretely. Not earth shatteringly new, I know. Somehow I was able see it all differently when I read "Learning By Modeling"...a Waldorf book. Anyway, it has enabled me to implement helpful learning experiences for my son. It helped impart experience where experiences rarely penetrate his NLD wiring. Simple-ish things like building dioramas and/or hand-picked activities from (Homeschoolnhewoods.com) Time Travelers history cds for history, and Donald Silver's "Amazing Earth Model Book" for science. We have always homeschooled, so he has a good self-image as it relates to learning, despite his difficulties. The Ed Psych commented that my son was unique in this (in his experience)...I know that it is because he is homeschooled and has always had learning tailored to his needs/abilities.

As a family, we're just now broaching the topic of social skills. DS will be 12 in January and we're seeing signs of his need/desire for a social life, and friends. He's very one-sided conversationally... An incessant talker (he even thinks out-loud) with lots of Aspie-like quirks and qualities (melt-downs,echolalia, etc.) I am quite nervous about his potential abilities in this arena as a whole, and am not sure how much success to expect from our efforts. :(

On the whole, "patience, patience, patience" is my motto. Ds has serious anxiety issues, so if I add to it unnecessarily, we're done for. But kids with NLD are all unique...your son's needs/challenges will probably be a bit different.

If you have any specific questions related to his needs, please...ask away.

Edited to add "learning by modeling".

Thank you SO much for all of your thoughts and suggestions and sharing! I have a fulltime Summer job right now, so I can barely think about planning for school coming up. But I love your advice. I'm going to look into that history curriculum, buy the first book you recommended and will definitely be joining the nld board. 

Thanks again!!!

Sheri

Guest shragae

On the whole, "patience, patience, patience" is my motto. Ds has serious anxiety issues, so if I add to it unnecessarily, we're done for. But kids with NLD are all unique...your son's needs/challenges will probably be a bit different.

Excellent post!

My son is 14.  He was diagnosed with NLD at age 10.   He has all the classic symptoms including terrible dysgraphia, attention, focusing, etc.  

There are many NLD resources -- and I'm happy to hear about the social NLD group here.  I'm going to check it out.  One book I found very helpful  is Help Your Teens Take Control of Asperger's Syndrome and Nonverbal Learning Disorder.

Since you are home schooling I'll give you the top things that have helped us:

1. Repetition, repetition, repetition (with breaks often).
  2. Teach verbally -- stay away from busy graphics.  My son was eligible for Bookshare which gives him many audio versions of books
  3. Teach your child to type.  My son has horrible Dysgraphia but he can type like a speed demon
  4. Patience and understanding.  Many NLDers wind up with anxiety / depression because they are overwhelmed.  The more you can make your child feel smart and reenforce the good things the better.

My son just began high school.  I'm sure I'll be posting here a lot as we face new challenges!

I have found this thread so interesting and helpful. We on a writing list right now to have my ds9 go through a neuropsych eval. I have always though he would get a label of dysgraphia and possibly dyslexia but feel he doesn't fit these perfectly so maybe other things are going on too. I did some more reading on NVLD and it was been eye opening. I still don't know what is going on exactly with my son but I do know many of the things you mention are things he struggles with.

My son has always struggled with writing and all fine motor skills. He still can't tie his shoes and struggles with lots of other fine motor activities. His writing is really a struggle. He can't keep his letters on the line, still reverses many letters and spaces things oddly. He struggles with reading but not really with single words it is more the cluttered page that hampers his progress. I recently started requesting Large print books (intended for folks with visual disabilities) for him to read which has helped a lot. He often forgets the direction to add or subtract in columns and can't keep track of multi step questions. All of this makes me wonder about dyslexia and dysgraphia but where I feel he doesn't fit is. Is memory. He has a fantastic memory for anything you tell him or anything he hears. He can remember history facts we listened to on audio from years ago. He Loves audio books and excels at all things verbal. He was an early talker and talks non- stop to everyone!

Anyway, I am not sure whet the eval will say about my son but you have opened my eyes to NVLD ?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We have an adopted dd who was diagnosed with NVLD.  We found Handwriting Without Tears to be the only penmanship program that worked for her.

She will be 17 next week and still struggles with various aspects of her life.  She's also a non-stop talker to the point of actually chattering.  However, her IQ is low and her chatter is more indicative of a much younger child - like a 10 year old.

Her auditory memory is a strength and we have found audio books to listen to as she reads is helpful.

Good luck with your child.

Gina