Menu

Writing for the reluctant child

PrincessMommy

He was just dx with learning disabilities and mild ADD.  We've been addressing the reading issues with a tutor for some time, but obviously the reading problems have effected his writing abilities.

I'd like to do something after school 3-4 days a week afterschool.   When I was homeschooling we used Rod & Staff and other curriculum (I can't remember their names!) for my  kids.   It's been a while since I bought curriculum, and I'm sure there's other stuff out there too.  I'd love some recommendations for an older child (12) who needs a gentle hand with writing to get him started.

He was just dx with learning disabilities and mild ADD.  We've been addressing the reading issues with a tutor for some time, but obviously the reading problems have effected his writing abilities.

I'd like to do something after school 3-4 days a week afterschool.   When I was homeschooling we used Rod & Staff and other curriculum (I can't remember their names!) for my  kids.   It's been a while since I bought curriculum, and I'm sure there's other stuff out there too.  I'd love some recommendations for an older child (12) who needs a gentle hand with writing to get him started.

So...no dx of a LD of "written expression"?

So...no dx of a LD of "written expression"?

No, they felt that his issues with writing were related to his inability to read/spell.  That he can express himself quite well, but mechanics are pretty bad.  The psychologist felt that if he worked raising his reading/spelling levels that the writing would improve.  I'm looking to help that along with him.

• 3 weeks later...

Can he just narrate at this time and you could type his narrations or use a digital or tape recorder?

What about a program such ad Dragon where he could speak and the program could type for him?

In my opinion, a really great writing program is "Jump In" through Apologia. It breaks the process down into smaller steps.

• 3 weeks later...

"but obviously the reading problems have effected his writing abilities".

Have you had him evaluated for visual processing disorder by any chance? Fine-motor delays (including writing difficulty) can be attributed to visual processing deficits in some children. This is usually evaluated by a Developmental (also known as Behavioral) Optometrist. It's very different than a "regular" eye check-up done by an ophthalmologist. Schools do not look at this issue because they are limited to conditions listed on the DSM. You would have to do this on your own.

My son was diagnosed with Visual Processing Disorder (by a Dev. Optometrist) at 6.5 years old. He had depth perception deficits SO significant that he couldn't gauge where the tip of the pencil met the paper. Thus, he refused to do what most kids find pleasurable (coloring with crayons or finger-paints, doodling, tracing or drawing).

Your son's ability to read may also be linked to an issue of visual processing. For example, he could be experiencing significant visual fatigue due to poor eye-teaming ("tracking").

My son experienced amazing progress in reading AND writing after a few months of vision therapy. The investment (usually not covered by insurance)  has been worth it.

Here is the link to the College of Optometrists in Vision Development (COVD) for additional information, in case you care to read some more. Feel free to email me with any questions you may have. http://www.covd.org/?page=Symptoms

Maria