Menu

Is this schedule okay for an anxious 3rd grader? (Cross post)

I have a 3rd grader of average intelligence who is a bit ahead in reading and a bit behind in math. She has significant anxiety issues, although they are MUCH better this year than last. It is possible that we will change therapists and difficult topics may come back up. She sees a therapist every other week, a psychiatrist every month and meets with our pastor every other week for discussion about religion (this is at her request, she feels that he can answer her questions better than we can - some of her anxiety has a religious basis to it, so we consider time with our pastor to be therapeutic).

We are seeing some regressive behaviors lately - more fear at night, baby-talking, helpless behavior. We're not sure if it's temporary or if her medicine is not working as well.

SO, here is what we have planned:

8:00 - 9:00 = Basically circle-time with her older sister. They say the pledge, read devotions, calendar and then work on writing/typing. This won't take a full hour, but I wanted to build in some extra time in case the morning is hectic.

9:00 - 9:30 = Reading (She enjoys this subject and can do it on her own)

9:30 - 10:00 = English (She also enjoys this one and can do it on her own)

10:00 - 10:30 = Break (She likes to spend time outdoors and run around outside)

10:30 - 11:00 = Math (she hates this subject and I will help her)

11:00 - 11:30 = Science (she's iffy on this subject and I help her)

11:30 - 12:30 = Lunch/Chores

12:30 - 1:00 = History (She's okay with this subject but I still help her)

1:00 - 2:00 = Art/Music (this is basically a free time to listen to music, do artwork - which she loves - or read)

She will have all subjects daily, except History. She has history three times a week. I'm expecting her to still complete Reading, English, Math and Science on therapy days. She takes dance and theatre in the fall.

Does this look okay? I need a schedule that is not overwhelming but still accomplishes some schoolwork. I want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.

Ok the only thing I see that would not work due to my own experience is the science behind math. I like to schedule science after a subject where I am not needed as much. If she needs you for math, you will not have time to set up science experiments etc...Especially if you are only slotting 30 mins. I would switch science and math around. That way science will come after the break, you can use the break to set out your "stuff".

We're working on a set amount of time, not problems. For a while, I tried assigning a certain number of lessons per day, but it was not working. She has moments of regression where we have to re-teach math. We seem to be stable on single digit addition/subtraction and fairly comfortable with double digit addition/subtraction (but no carrying/borrowing). I know she's behind. Pushing to catch up is disastrous. So, my plan is to work for thirty minutes and then stop.

Gotcha.

Is half an hour enough for lunch and chores at your house?

I ask because my Aspie gets vey anxious if he perceives he does not have time to get finished and start the next thing "on time".

We had to move to a posted routine that has vey few times on it. OT/PT services are on the schedule with a time because it is an outside appointment, a hard time. Starting seat work has no time, it is just the next thing in a routine. I shoot for a certain time, but I can't tell him or everytime we need to start earlier or later he freaks that we are not on schedule.

He wears me out, this sweet Punk of mine. :)

We're scheduled for a full hour for lunch and chores. Chores are optional. Ideally, I would like for them to put away laundry or tidy their rooms, but nothing is set in stone.

She's not worried about being on schedule. She does worry about being behind in math. She really wanted me to hold her back for 2nd grade, but the only thing she was behind on was math. Our compromise was to place her in the 3rd grade category but she still does 2nd grade math. She was fine with that.