Menu

Studying Spiritual Gifts (CC topic)

My youngest daughter has always been spiritually minded, even before we began attending church this past January. We attend a Presbyterian church, but my daughter's interests seem to lean more towards Church of God or Pentecostal beliefs.

I'm looking for Bible studies that would go deeper into the subject of spiritual gifts such as prophesy, healing, speaking in tongues, and so forth. I'm not very familiar in this area and our pastor believes that these mostly went away. He will answer questions but I feel like he disapproves of this interest.

I'm happy to answer more personal questions in private message. Thanks for any suggestions about books or studies appropriate for 8 year olds.

Precept Ministries has a couple of studies.

Precept Upon Precept Study - Spiritual Gifts and Understanding  Spiritual Gifts, 40-Minute Study. These studies are designed for adults. Precept has other studies for children, but I don't know if any of them are on Spiritual Gifts. I am explaining these with the thought that you would study them and then teach your child.

I have not gone through either of these exact studies, but I have done many Precept Upon Precept (PUP) studies - they are life changing.

The 40-minute study will be easier than the PUP study, but you will learn much more in the PUP course. If you have never done a PUP course, there is a learning curve starting out, but if you just take it 1 question at a time, you will do fine. It took me several courses (and I was in a class) before I got comfortable with them. If you decide to try the PUP course, you might also want to get the Precept How to Study the Bible; it is a manual on how to learn Bible study skills. If you find a used or earlier version (cheaper) it will work fine.

Best wishes.

My youngest daughter has always been spiritually minded, even before we began attending church this past January. We attend a Presbyterian church, but my daughter's interests seem to lean more towards Church of God or Pentecostal beliefs.

I'm looking for Bible studies that would go deeper into the subject of spiritual gifts such as prophesy, healing, speaking in tongues, and so forth. I'm not very familiar in this area and our pastor believes that these mostly went away. He will answer questions but I feel like he disapproves of this interest.

I'm happy to answer more personal questions in private message. Thanks for any suggestions about books or studies appropriate for 8 year olds.

Your pastor most likely does not approve b/c the doctrine of his/your church does not line up with believing that many of those gifts are still functioning today.  You need to decide if you agree or not.  Read the various points of view, examine the scriptures, pray and see if your beliefs line up with the doctrine of your church.  You could do this alongside your Dd.

​A google search turned up this article which explores the differences b/t the prevalent POV.

ETA: Whoops, just read your Dd is 8.  You'd better do the reading first and then look for something to read with her.