Menu

When history and reality collide...

Bang!Zoom!

It's just been on my mind lately, that studying history has a certain ironic benefit to it. 

Example, last night I was watching a BBC series on Queen Victoria.  Off to the side was a stack of books, among them some suffragate titles and the book 1491.  (I try to read a few pages during commericals) In 1491 they talk about these great lost civiilzations, right?

Then up on the BBC they are all chattering about these amazing castles, Prince Charles is walking through his gardens stressing the importance of organic farming.

The clash of worlds to me was strong.  Sati in Indian history (this, where women would impale themselves on a fire pyre and burn alive) - vs. women in history trying to vote.  Prince Charles talking about the loss of organic gardening vs. 1491...many of the sites which are still being discovered.

Just the rise and fall of empires and how ridiculous it all looks over a six hundred year period there alone...

Ever get like that?  Different points in history, the things people were creating war and strife for...and the result is what??  Not much.

Then the genealogist in me wakes up and says..."Um.  Wrong.  All of it was important.  Every second."