Menu

Got The Writing Road to Reading in the mail today!

Just started looking through it, and I love it so far! I got the 4th edition per reviews here. It seems very clear, and matter of fact so far. I am a bit terrified of teaching all the vowel sounds at once, instead of just the short ones first like I remember, but I'm going into it with an open mind.

My girl is still too young to do much yet, but we are going to do some stuff on the chalkboard, and in shaving cream, etc. And the sections on how to hold a pencil, how to sit with the paper, etc are really things I wanted to know.

so Yay!

:party: :party: :party:

Ellie, I thought about tagging you in the title, lol. I totally got it based on all your brainswashing...er....positive reviews. I LOVE how basic it is! I can add puppets or songs or whatever myself, I don't want to pay for stuff like that, you know?

Ellie, I thought about tagging you in the title, lol. I totally got it based on all your brainswashing...er....positive reviews. I LOVE how basic it is! I can add puppets or songs or whatever myself, I don't want to pay for stuff like that, you know?

You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. :D

You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. :D

LOVE it!

Ok, so quick question. I'm going to read it all over the next few days, I promise. But one quick thing...when teaching the phonograms they are presented in a certain order in the book. When teaching handwriting it is a different order. Do I teach the phonograms with flashcards first, then work on "writing" them, or do I have that wrong?

LOVE it!

Ok, so quick question. I'm going to read it all over the next few days, I promise. But one quick thing...when teaching the phonograms they are presented in a certain order in the book. When teaching handwriting it is a different order. Do I teach the phonograms with flashcards first, then work on "writing" them, or do I have that wrong?

No, you've misunderstood. :-)

You don't separate learning/teaching the phonograms from teaching handwriting. You teach the phonograms by teaching handwriting. It's the *Writing* Road to Reading, after all, lol.

You ignore the numbers on the first 25 phonograms. You teach the phonograms which begin with circles, then the phonograms which begin with lines. After that, you teach the phonograms in the order they are numbered, but always by writing them and helping the dc to write them correctly and legibly.

No, you've misunderstood. :-)

You don't separate learning/teaching the phonograms from teaching handwriting. You teach the phonograms by teaching handwriting. It's the *Writing* Road to Reading, after all, lol.

You ignore the numbers on the first 25 phonograms. You teach the phonograms which begin with circles, then the phonograms which begin with lines. After that, you teach the phonograms in the order they are numbered, but always by writing them and helping the dc to write them correctly and legibly.

Ok, that is what I thought, but wanted to make sure that it was ok...i was afraid to mess with the order they were in in the book, lol! But yes, the writing road part was the reason I got the book, lol!

Thanks!