Menu

If you have done Veritas Press Self-Paced Online History, do you feel it is enough as a standalone history for 5th grade?

We only did the free sample lessons. One of the reasons I didn't sign up was I didn't think it was enough, for taking as much time as it did. When i figured i would want to add in some hands-on mapping, timeline, reading, and narrations, i figured it would be too much time on history for us. But that's going to be different for every family.

Did you try them to see? I thought they usually had a freebie a couple of times a year. They are quite well done. I think that one of the reasons they aren't going to please everyone is that they are trying to target such a wide range of ages. For a younger child, they'd be great on their own.

The lessons we took increased in difficulty as we progressed.  There are review questions that will often take the child back to several earlier lessons in order to help them memorize those facts.  There are also assigned additional readings following many of the lessons.  I considered it complete but it would be easy to add more mapwork or a writing component based on the additional readings if you wanted to do so.  (We actually took a more casual approach due to the age of my students and didn't do the readings.)

• 2 weeks later...

We really like it. We used it for an older son and younger. It does progress in difficulty as the lessons move on. There is also an age appropriate literature section too. My sons still talk to me about what they learned, a lot of times it is such a delightful surprise to hear all they remember from the past year. Our younger son will use it again this year.