Menu

Is it overkill to use both AAS & Megawords for a dyslexic?

As I am planning our days are looking long. AAS is working beautifully and ds is about to start level 4. He very rarely misspells a word in the dictation sentences and when he does he usually gets it right a few days later. But that darn reading fluency!! Would it be overkill to have him do both AAS & Megawords? I would be using Megawords mostly to boost reading fluency with multi-syllabic words but I'm concerned about the writing aspect since he is a severe dysgraphic. We'll also be doing MCT Grammar Town/Practice Town and IEW SWI-A. Thoughts?

I don't think it's overkill to add something for reading fluency (though I wonder if something like Reading Rewards Intermediate might be a better match--I think there's less writing and it would be more focused on reading than megawords). My concern would be his overall LA load, and making sure he doesn't have too much on his plate. I like to aim for about 90 minutes with reading, spelling, writing, grammar etc..., so I'd look at whether you have time for MCT and IEW as well. Reading is so foundational, I think it's a good idea to focus on it now.

Merry :-)

We've already done Rewards Intermediate. Fluency is just his big struggle. I have no idea where to go with his reading. He can read when he wants to and even above grade level but he hates it. He loves MCT so I can't drop that. We really have to work on writing too. He needs major help there. It stinks when all of LA needs so much remediation.

ETA: Maybe I am looking for 6 Minute Solution instead of Megawords? That might be quick and just focus on reading fluency.

Wow, we are in your shoes! I think I'm going to go through Level 4 this fall, quickly, then switch to Megawords.

Also, I used 6 minute solution when I taught first grade and I LoVED it, but if I remember right, the book is $90. That's a lot!

Just checked Amazon--$330 new or $150 used!  Is it oop?

One of the best things I ever did for fluency was back and forth reading aloud.  They read  a paragraph, I read a paragraph.  I would pick a high interest book that was slightly below reading level.  This way they get to enjoy the story, but not have the pressure of reading it all by themselves.  Most books have repeated words too, so a lot times they have the added benefit of hearing you read a name or word before they come to it.

Another thing I did for fluency that really worked was to pick a passage and set a goal and time them every day reading the same passage out loud until they met the goal.  I used passages from the dibels website.  They are already leveled and if I remember right, they have words per minute marked on them.  The 6th edition benchmarks and oral reading passages are available for free.  You have to register.

https://dibels.uoregon.edu/

These are used for assessments, but that is not how I used them.  We would set a wpm goal based on age and read them every day until they met that goal.  You could really use any material, but I found these helpful.

HTH,

Joy