Menu

If you needed a filler year for you 4th grader... What would you use

This next school year I am taking a break from HOD for my upcoming 4th grade daughter because I want to start her in Creation to Christ for 5th grade when her skills are more developed. She has already done the program before this one (Preparing Hearts) so I need to find some sort of filler program for next year. We are going to be focusing heavily on the 3 R's (thanks to the kindness of a friend who gifted me some great materials), and I am looking for something fun for things like science, history, music etc... Her younger brother, age 7 may sit in on her lessons. Any suggestions?

You've had some good suggestions!  I'll just throw in a few more thoughts...maybe "Mapping the World with Art" by Ellen J. McHenry?  It seems to be an art/geography combo with a little history thrown in. (ETA:  I checked and this is targeted to age 11-16, so maybe that's a no-go...  There are extensive samples on her website for you to judge).  She also has some other neat looking offerings on her website that are more science oriented and are right in your target age).  Or dipping from the booklist for My Father's World ECC there are some fun books like A Trip Around the World and its sequel that you could use along with one of the Geography Matters programs (Trail Guide to World Geography?)  

Beautiful Feet also has something about the history of science for 3rd- through 6th grade, I think....in addition to the other BF offerings mentioned by a PP

Also, there's a series called "Profiles from History" published by Geography Matters that is a 3 volume series of brief biographies of important historical figures throughout history (world and US, from all fields).  Each bio is just a page or two and there are activities to go along with each one.  It could be a great "filler" for history without getting too in-depth.

Will be following this thread with interest :)