Menu

American girl for history?

momsuz123

As a part of history...I read about American Girl books and turning them into a type of history unit. I swear there was a post about this sometime, does anyone know of that thread or have any links to it?

My 8 year old is still struggling with reading, I am trying to bring as many books into her day as possible. This is another way I am thinking of doing so...I will be reading the books to her, and as she gets better, my hopes is we end with her doing more reading out loud than me. :)

Thanks.

We are doing this this year with my 8yr old dd. The Welcome to (Insert AG name) World are our spines and we read the AG books together. So far we have gone through Kaya and about to begin Felicity. My plan is to do half this year along side Sonlight Core D books and half the next year with core E. I have been blogging about our journey if you are interested in how we are doing it. So far I am extremely pleased with this plan and dd loves it too.

Did you know, some of the original main AG girls has a craft book and cook book. I have a few and the library has some. They are very interesting and worth looking at for crafts and food ideas if you can find them.

We are using Portraits of American Girlhood with the AG books and the Welcome to (____'s) World. It is going very well. We have only finished 2 weeks of POAG Felicity unit and my dd has written a colonial recipe, started learning the East Coast states and capitols, designed a shop sign, learned about G. Washington and filled out a famous person sheet on him, gotten a full grasp of the terms patriot and loyalist, and more. Next week she will be learning to write an invatation.

We are using Portraits of American Girlhood with the AG books and the Welcome to (____'s) World. It is going very well. We have only finished 2 weeks of POAG Felicity unit and my dd has written a colonial recipe, started learning the East Coast states and capitols, designed a shop sign, learned about G. Washington and filled out a famous person sheet on him, gotten a full grasp of the terms patriot and loyalist, and more. Next week she will be learning to write an invatation.

How old and what grade is your daughter in? I am considering POAG for 2nd grade. DD would be 7 years old.

It says on the cover that it is for Grades 2-5.

I know. I just am not sure since I have heard there are a lot of writing assignments. I'm not sure if waiting until she was in a higher grade would be more prudent, but we are planning to do the mfw 5 year family cycle, and so 2nd / 3rd grade would be the years we might try something different. I am trying to decide between Adventures or POAG for 2nd and starting ECC for 3rd or doing Prairie Primer.

I love MFW but I loved both the Little House Series and American Girls series as a kid, and had a friend who homeschooled and her mom did history with AG and was so jealous :). I don't know if she used POAG but it seemed like such a more interesting way to learn about history.

I know. I just am not sure since I have heard there are a lot of writing assignments. I'm not sure if waiting until she was in a higher grade would be more prudent, but we are planning to do the mfw 5 year family cycle, and so 2nd / 3rd grade would be the years we might try something different. I am trying to decide between Adventures or POAG for 2nd and starting ECC for 3rd or doing Prairie Primer.

I love MFW but I loved both the Little House Series and American Girls series as a kid, and had a friend who homeschooled and her mom did history with AG and was so jealous :). I don't know if she used POAG but it seemed like such a more interesting way to learn about history.

It is not "report writing", but filling in templates made by the author. It would be very easy for you to jot in your dd's answers if you feel it is too much for her or use the suggestions at the beginning of the book to adapt assignments for reluctant or beginning writers. I think it could very easily be used for a 2nd grader that was able to read the books on their own. I'm planning on working it in with my 4th grader some this year. 

How old and what grade is your daughter in? I am considering POAG for 2nd grade. DD would be 7 years old.

My dd just turned 8 and entering 3rd grade.

The writing is not ONLY templates. The recipe was a bit difficult and the invitation was very hard for her. We are going to finish up the Felicity unit, and then put the rest on hold. I want my dd to get the most out of it, and not do the work for her. In case it makes any difference my little girl has always had a hard time writing too much. A motor skills thing. It may work out better for your child.

About PP....there is a lot more work and reading in it than in POAG. Of course you pick and choose. We will be waiting on this one as well.