Menu

Anyone here go to NASCAR races? Scanner question.

LadyR

We are thinking of getting tickets to a nearby Sprint Cup race and would like to rent a scanner.  I've heard that the drivers, crew, etc can use offensive language which is something I don't want to subject my son to.  Is there an ability to just tune in to some sort of radio broadcast of the race?

Generally you can pick up the regular audio broadcast of the race, you just need to know what channel beforehand. They may also print it on the website or in the program. We went to races for years and never rented a scanner, they were expensive. Make sure everyone has some form of ear protection. For ds we had headphones with a radio built in. The headphones were more comfortable than earplugs.  

Second the ear protection.  The race is painfully loud.  Your arms get real tired quick trying to keep your fingers in your ears! I always have good ear protection now and learned my lesson after the first time. I don't know about the language you will hear on the scanner if you get one but be prepared to hear it in the stands. If the race isn't sold out, sometimes you can move around to get away from it. I am not a race fan but have worked at a big NASCAR race track for a few races. 

Yes!  I didn't realize how LOUD it is until we went for the first time a couple years ago.  We used little ear plugs but they really didn't do much.  My husband and son now have good quality ear protection which they take to Monster Truck shows.  I would need to get something for me though, if we don't do the scanner.

Generally you can pick up the regular audio broadcast of the race, you just need to know what channel beforehand.

So the audio broadcast can be picked up by the scanner?   How expensive are they to rent?

Yes!  I didn't realize how LOUD it is until we went for the first time a couple years ago.  We used little ear plugs but they really didn't do much.  My husband and son now have good quality ear protection which they take to Monster Truck shows.  I would need to get something for me though, if we don't do the scanner.

So the audio broadcast can be picked up by the scanner?   How expensive are they to rent?

No, we just used the regular radio headphones for the broadcast. Whoever does the broadcast you can pick up if you're not at the race. Is it still MRN?  I can't remember where we bought ours.