Menu

SWR and LOE

I saw some of the Logic of English videos today, free online. and I own one of the latest videos from Wanda Sanseri from Spell to Write and Read.

what is the difference? I mistakendly thought that LOE taught the 'schwa' sound with every vowel. I saw in her videos that she said only the 3 sounds of 'a'

it sounds that they have the same philosophy, what do you pro's think?

I see the similarities clearly like the cursive teaching, the sandpaper monterory letters. no sight words?

what are the differences, best if yiu know the core differences.

From the videos I've watched, I think Mrs. Eide took a SWR seminar or two and was blown away by it. After further research, she decided to make her own version of the Spalding method (which Sanseri also started from). Mrs. Eide (LOE) has some differences of opinion on certain SWR phonograms - saying they shouldn't be phonograms. (I can't remember what these are, but ran across them in the back part of her 'Uncovering the Logic of English' book.) She also is a proponent of adding the /EE/ sound to the 'y' and 'i' phonogram sounds. (SWR teaches that words like baby should be taught with a /i/ sound at the end because we are 'thinking to spell' and the 'y' is standing in for an 'i' at the end of the word. While most pronounciations are /bay/-/bee/, we should teach it as /bay/-/bi/.) 

LOE is scripted & sold by level. SWR is not scripted & can be used with any level of reader/speller. They are pretty similar in their phonograms & method, overall. But like most Spalding spin-offs, there are differences.

What are you looking for, exactly?

thank you! i own spalding manual, sanseri's full program, and Rigg's  institute.... so I am trying to decide what to use. Also I tought my kids the phonograms last year using SWR, my oldest is doing cursive first. Though I have the cards for the Spell road to reading and thinking (imposible program to undestand, terrible customer service, and even worse yahoo group) SWR great Yahoo group, but still hard to follow. after a year at it, finally a friend who organized a seminar at one point, sat me down and at 9 mo and 1 week pregnant, I learned that I did not need to "know" everything, that I just need to read what it is in the red manual and do it.all like a script, you know "this is the ___phonogram" make my hand move (child dictates back, etc.). But if she didn't show me to start in one page, jump to the other book and then to the manual agian,etc I would still not know how to do it. SO I am guessing that it is the same for the Spalding stuff that I have....

I cannot say the sound of Y that LOE wants, nor can I say the sound of the think to spell "i" on the word baby.... I can't hear it....

I don't know what I want... maybe a reasurance to stay with the program I have. I got the LOE book from the library not the curriculum. Will read and see what the back of it has to offer in terms of rules, etc.

I want to know who is right, who will teach my children not to be like me a horrible speller!

and I hate pecing together a curriculum, so I don't like how you have to buy this and that to undesrtand one curriculum, like the videos and seminars of SWR, or the million books and workbooks, readers, part A, B, C, D, etc of LOE

Eide mentiones in her blog that other curricula that uses more or less phonograms is just as good as hers because it is a different aproach on how to codify (or other word like that) the English language in order to make sense of it. SO is it not important how one teaches the students? will all be leveled by grade 3?

Have you looked into The Phonics Road. if you can watch DVDs or watch them with your kids, it does make the whole system easier (for me, anyway) to understand. That y making i sound I just ignore.

I own and use SWR, but I was discouraged by the difficulty of getting started.  So even though I had overcome that obstacle and was having success with SWR, I really wanted to know more about LOE so I could know better what to recommend to others.  I am very much impressed with Denise Eide's clarity of instruction.  I do not mind the I/Y as /i/ vs. /E/ controversy.  I think it is more important that kids be given a consistent approach.  I think it would be problematic to switch once you have taught one rule or the other.  I personally prefer that all levels are included in SWR, as opposed to the different levels for LOE.  LOE is more of a workbook approach, which may be a plus or a minus, depending on your family's needs.  LOE is more professional looking, but of course, that comes with a cost.  LOE is more open-and-go at the beginning.  

The reasons that I stay with SWR is that (1) it is very flexible in that it is easy to tailor it to the needs of the individual student, (2) as much as I love clarity of LOE, it is cost prohibitive for me, and (3) LOE only has 1000 words, while SWR has 2000 words (at least that was the case when I researched it last year).