Menu

Trying to put together American History course for tenth grader with no prior Am His-

suggestions? He'd like to take the AP exam, and I'd like something as self-guided as possible, and I just don't know where to begin! I don't object to using religious sources like Notgrass, but I do prefer a range of secular and non-secular materials. Please help!

this is free. they use American history I, American history II, and AP American history I and II. You can use it to gain a broad overview to whatever text you end up using. We are studying American history this year, and we will be using this in conjunction with other materials. Also check out the American history courses offered by Teaching Company.. the one offered by the three professors (cannot remember the name) looks like it is very complete. We are currently listening to the American Identity by Patrick Allitt and really enjoying it.

I am doing American History with my 9th and 11th graders this year. My 9th grader will be using All American History which includes some map work,timeline work and lots of activities to choose from. I am also doing American Lit with him. He will write various papers to go with his history also. Mt 11th grader is going to be using Carson's US history books as his spine. I will most likely add in The History of the American People along the way. He will read lots of books to go with this time period,various map work,timelines, write papers,use the Critical Thinking book for Primary Source documents(can't think of the exact name right now). He will also be doing American Literature.

I have looked at Spielvogel's Western Civ. book and it looks good if you want something secular. Bob Jones US history book would be a good choice also.

HTH

We're not doing AP, but it might help solidify the flow of things. Preread it, though, because it is pretty rude-and-crude in spots. Not at all the sort of thing we usually read, but I decided the appeal of the cartoon-ness of it outweighed the other. They read it quickly and happily on their own time, and reread it every few years this way.

-Nan

Mine read The Cartoon History of the US before and after reading a textbook...

We're not doing AP, but it might help solidify the flow of things. Preread it, though, because it is pretty rude-and-crude in spots. Not at all the sort of thing we usually read, but I decided the appeal of the cartoon-ness of it outweighed the other. They read it quickly and happily on their own time, and reread it every few years this way.

-Nan

I also added Larry Gonick's Cartoon History of the United States when my daughter took an out of the home AP US History class. The text her class used was The American Pageant by Bailey. She enjoyed the personality of the author. Her class also read 10 Days That Unexpectedly Changed America by Steven Gillon and watched some of the History Channel episodes that went along with the book.

She found study cards helpful too. I think these are the ones we had: Barron's AP United States History Flash Cards . And definitely invest in an AP Study Guide to use to familiarize yourself with the test.

Regards,

Kareni