Menu

How to use my house space ??

sbgrace

I can't figure out how to best use new to us space. Since moving, we've been living in 900 SF, which is small for us.

We are completing a full walk out basement finishing to double our space. One room downstairs is going to e a family/play type room and has good space (12 x 22 or so).

Due to allergies and allergy related asthma, sometimes one of mine just can't play outside. I saw that room as boy energy space--ie, run around, basketball hoop on the door, active toys, etc. I wanted to send wrestling kids down there to tussle together, for example.

I found out today that my husband had assumed all the toys, now mostly played with in the living room because bedrooms here are very small, were going there. He saw upstairs as relaxing, reading, etc. and downstairs as play. I'm thinking all the toys down there means when you want to play basketball your twin has to pick up his elaborate construction of whatever. I'm also thinking it means you either play away from mom all day or bring things up that will need to be carried back down. I've never dealt with this type of house set up so maybe I'm not thinking it through well.

Thoughts?

I think I would have assumed the same thing as your husband. Using the playroom only for active boy-energy play would be under-utilizing it, in my opinion. (I have three boys, but they don't tend to be the rough-and-tumble type, so your mileage may vary.)

At their age, I wouldn't worry about the away from mom bit. However, if it bothers you, could you create space in the living room for a select number of quiet toys?