Menu

Grammar Reference Book?

jessj

I don't know about love, but I have The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation sitting on my shelf just for that purpose. I tend to be intuitive about grammar and so far ds9 is still in the early stages with Intermediate Language Lessons. You can see it on Amazon. It has 4 stars overall, but some people have a real beef with it. I haven't seen anything objectionable yet, but I have only browsed through it. It will be largely ds9's grammar curriculum in seventh grade.

I've seen that one.  Just wondering if there were some other secret treasure out there!  :) 

I have the problem that I know how to write, but I don't know why.  When it comes to proofing and editing my daughters writing, I want to have some answers as to "why". I'm intuitive by nature, and I drop facts straight out of my head. Thus, I need a reference. 

http://www.amazon.com/Style-Lessons-Clarity-Grace-Edition/dp/0321095170/ref=cm_lmf_tit_1

This is not grammar specifically, but it is an excellent book for teaching the parts of writing that some really intuitive writers get on their own but may not know how to articulate.

I recommend some kind of style guide (Chicago Manual) or a writer's handbook over a grammar textbook, but if want a textbook, Warriner's English Grammar is good. My handbook type reference is buried in a box somewhere, and unfortunately, covers have changed since the last time I dug mine out.