Menu

I need your best EASY gluten-free recipe(s)!

ereks mom

My nieces are coming to spend several days with us starting this coming Friday. One of them (age 17) was diagnosed with Celiac Disease a few months ago following a bout with mono last year. I know very, very little about this condition, but I do know that if she uses a serving utensil that has already been used in a dish containing gluten, she becomes quite ill. She will be bringing some of her own food when she comes to visit, and I know that cross-contamination is a huge deal, so I am wondering if she'll even be able to use my toaster for her GF PopTarts! I need recipes and a crash course in gluten-free meal preparation!

We (my kids) are GF and we're going to be visiting family for 3 weeks. I will be taking some food, like GF substitutes of pretzels, bread, pizza crust mix, cookies, oatmeal, cereal, Annie's GF Mac and cheese, etc.

I bought some toaster bags to use in the toasters, I ordered them from amazon.

For meals, I would keep things as simple as possible. Meat and vegetables then you can add gluten or GF sides.

I would clean your kitchen really thoroughly first. Cross contamination is terrible.

My kids love rice with beans, taco meat, lettuce, salsa, tomatoes, ect.

They also love curried chicken.

Make sure if you use spices or seasonings to carefully check them. A lot of blends have wheat in them to keep them from caking.

The toaster won't be safe. Most cutting boards if they've had bread on them won't be safe. Anything porous can harbor gluten.

Google paleo recipes. There are tons of them on the internet and they are gluten free.

To reduce the chance of cross contamination, it would be easiest to have your whole family eat gluten free while your nieces are visiting. It's actually pretty easy if you don't have picky eaters and it's not expensive if you eat whole foods rather than GF processed foods. There are websites that list whether or not common brands/foods are gluten free, so that helps a lot. If your library has Practical Paleo or Everyday Paleo, they are great books that would help you plan a week's worth of gluten free meals. Paleo cuts out a lot more than gluten, but imo, it's a quick way to find gluten free foods and recipes.