Menu

I think I am deciding that I want..... (Planning related)

An app that doesn't exist.

I want a cross-platform (even if it is in the basics) combo of OneNote-NoteTaker(for the Mac, not the iPad app)-Circus Ponies Notebook-Outline+ (iPad). Because, I'd rather load everything up on the iPad and be done with it - but that isn't realistic in some areas either.

Maybe what I need is more of OneNote 2013 that I can just plan in XL, and then insert it into OneNote and have it update when I make Changes?? I don't have Office 2013 so I wouldn't know.... I also don't have a Windows laptop to run the 2nd portion on it. All I have is my virtual XP machine on my Mac.

But I'm going C.R.A.Z.Y. trying to figure out what the best method for planning crap will be.... i'm terrified I'm going to spend hours in the wrong app. Technically, I don't have hours to waste.

I need something solid that will encourage my middle DD to work more on her own in parts, I need things organized for my youngest who I think is doing Connections (today anyway) in case someone else has to help her daily.

I guess what I really need..... a winning Powerball ticket :D

Wow, I must be missing something.  I make my table, update it each week, and hit print.  :D

Maybe look for the simplest way to do slightly less than you want?  What I dream of doesn't exist, and I just don't have time to live in dreamland over planners.  I don't have time or mental energy to screw around with some company that MIGHT have invented something that ALMOST is what I need.  At this point it takes less time just to sit down and do it, the old fashioned way.

And be careful about using your ipad.  Files on there can POOF when you go to sync/back-up.  You could literally lose everything.  You can set it *not* to sync automatically (allowing you to back up FIRST before you sync) and that can help.  Just sayin'.  I never thought it would happen, but my dd lost a ton of stuff recently.  Oh the tears...  Like I said, not worth it, just to fiddle with technology. Find a simple method that you can get done.

Well, the biggest problem is that as I sit here - i don't know what next year looks like. Other than, I have to find a job - but I won't know what days and hours that looks like. I figure I am better off planning that they need to be 100% portable "now" - than in 4 weeks get slammed with it. Because there is technology that needs to be purchased regardless - I have to sort out what that looks like, which becomes a part of the big picture too.

I really like the idea of the student notebook that I shared in the other link - I think my middle special needs DD would be more apt to do some of her output orally or with videos if the tools where "right there". I just know that having anyone drop in to do school with her is not going to be easy (btdt), so the key is to present it all in a neat package that she can step thru easily and willingly (HAHAHAHAHA).

So for now, today, it is easy enough to plop it into XL and call it good.... but getting that to the kids and whomever ends up being their facilitator - that is the hard part.

And ya, DD did something to her iPad once and lost a bunch of stuff, she is still talking about it years later! I haven't lost anything on mine to-date. Which isn't to say it can't happen.... but I do have auto-sync turned off. I had some oddities when I was syncing stuff over to mine with iTunes 11 (crap, uber, total crap) - it took 6-7 syncs to get the stuff over there?!?!?!

Back to pondering "the big picture" that ultimately leads to a less stressful life.....

TraceyS/FL We are a bit in the same boat.  OhElizabeth has helped me before by sending me a page template for a weekly schedule which my kids are fine with.  (Thank you OhElizabeth! if you see this)  My problem is updating it and printing it out.  Below is what I plan to do and maybe it might help you to simplify.  Now mind you, I haven't implemented it yet so we will see how it goes when I do it next week---maybe.

Skydrive web-based OneNote to create and sync with the iPads. 

notebook titled Grade 5

first section-schedule with a table of days on the week as headers and subjects and checkboxes for each subject.

2nd section-Language Arts

-1st page - Jr. Analytical Grammar - checkboxes lessons basically checkboxes for the table of contents 

-2nd page - Writing with Skills 1

-3rd page - Wordly Wise

3rd section-Math

-1st page -Math Mammoth 5A/5B - checkboxes lessons

And so on...  So basically I would have it sync with the kids' iPads for their grade level and have them check it off on the lessons as well as the first section tab (schedule summary).  As for the work or things they have to do- I will have it in notability with dropbox syncing for me to check the work.  I bought mostly kindle books and pdfs for some of the curriculum.  The kids will check their OneNote on the ipad and go from there to read on the Kindle app or pdf in Notability.  Notability with allow for recordings if you have narrations done.

I took a little of this and a little of that- I don't know if you've seen Plum Crazy's images of OneNote- I really like it and wanted to make something similar.

I was also thinking of doing links in the web-based OneNote app to my private blogspot where I have artist study and composer study and to supplemental clippings or links to science topics.

I suppose this would work with evernote but I just really like how OneNote is organized.  So, yes---after trying a lot of things out...I think I will go with the web-based OneNote and iOS OneNote app.

That is the plan so far.  My backup is Homeschool Helper app.  I really like how when everything is not done for the day, the red mark is on the calendar which then tells me I need to move assignments or have the kids make up for lost time.

Thanks for not thinking i'm nuts!!! :D

I was playing with Outline+ earlier (and made a mess!) sorting out what I want in each section. If the Android version is the same as the iOS I can check that on my boyfriends tablet - provided it isn't one of the ones with issues I was reading about today.

I"m hoping in the morning it will be clearer to me as to a plan, and then I will figure out how to go about the hardware aspect. I can start typing in XL and copy and paste... or end up with ON 2013 that will update imbedded sheets.

I'm thinking the middle DD would do better with a laptop than an iPad - only because I can limit what is installed on the laptop more and take it away during non-school time. With an iPad she is more apt to want to have "more stuff" on it and complain about it.

And yes, I have one of Plum Crazy's screen shots open on that tab up there! LOL!! I think i'm zapped enough that I am going to go crawl into bed and play with the notebook again in Outline+. It is a new week in the morning, and time to get productive. For the first time in 18 months I am not starting school myself! Yahoooo!!!!!