Menu

Is there a particular time to use AAS Silent E?

SarahW

I just got the Silent E book from AAS - it's a free download with the newsletter.

Is there a good/better/best place in the curriculum where this can be slotted in?

Or should I just offer it to my kid when we need a break from the tiles and see what we make of it?

Are we sure it's the same thing? The one that comes with level 3 is a booklet with blank lines to fill in words as you come to them in the program. There is a page for each type of silent e. It would not be useful as a standalone, so it sounds like OP has something different if it has more than blank lines...

But yes, level 3 would be a good time to use it, since that's when you focus on all the different jobs.

Looking at their website where you sign up for the newsletter it looks like they have made it into something that can be used seperately. I'm guessing that it covers the same material as in Level 3. I know I'm signed up for their newsletter but for some reason I don't have that download.

You could always try it with dc but if they are not interested you don't have to worry since you know it will be covered later.

Are we sure it's the same thing? The one that comes with level 3 is a booklet with blank lines to fill in words as you come to them in the program. There is a page for each type of silent e. It would not be useful as a standalone, so it sounds like OP has something different if it has more than blank lines...

But yes, level 3 would be a good time to use it, since that's when you focus on all the different jobs.

What I have has a few pages of the "rules" for E. And then a few pages of words that example each rule. And then there are pages with lines for each rule for the student to write down the words that meet each rule.

I poked around the AAS site some more, and I think I found the booklet that comes with 3, but it has a line drawing cover (?). My pdf has speckled blue cover. But not sure if the contents are different.

There's not a lot of instruction beyond "just work on one rule at a time." So I could wing how to present it to my kid, but it's not scripted like the rest of AAS.

If silent-E is in 3 then I'll just wait till I buy that and see if I need to slot it in. Unless, of course, my kid decides to freak out about "why is this E here?!?!?" before then.  :glare: