Menu

What's the deal with advertising on blogs?

Is it put there by the blogger or by the advertiser? It earns the blogger a little cash, right, when a reader clicks on an ad -- but who does that? Who really ever clicks on an ad on a blog? If you're blogging on a free blog site, do you have to pay something to have advertisers? Can you choose to have ads or not? Can you choose which advertisers to have or which not to have, and/or do they choose you only after you have a certain level of traffic?

I'm sure these are very basic questions. Forgive me for being lazy and asking here rather than searching out answers on my own.

Is it put there by the blogger or by the advertiser? It earns the blogger a little cash, right, when a reader clicks on an ad -- but who does that? Who really ever clicks on an ad on a blog? If you're blogging on a free blog site, do you have to pay something to have advertisers? Can you choose to have ads or not? Can you choose which advertisers to have or which not to have, and/or do they choose you only after you have a certain level of traffic?

Because you never really know how many impulse buyers there are! ;)

Bloggers have a choice of adding adsense to their blogs. It is suppose to run relevant ads according to the posts that you make. It is free to run (I think.)I don't have it on mine so I am no totally sure.

Okay-that is suppose to say think in the title, it won't let me edit!

Yes, Adsense is one with which I'm familiar. Though, earlier today, on a link posted by Colleen, there was BlogHer, which also looked like it was at least, in part, and advertising outlet. Yesterday, I was looking at Wordpress and something I read there prompted my questions. My interpretation of it was that in order to have ads on your Wordpress site, you had to pay a subscriber's fee. I had to leave that little research project and haven't gone back there today, but thought someone here would be able to address that aspect of blog ads.

As an aside -- if you want to edit your Title in a post (as long as you were not the OP and you're trying to edit the major title that shows up on the main board page), you have to click on "advanced" under the edit feature. You can then alter your title within a post.

Adsense doesn't cost anything to add to your blog. The ads themselves are generated based on the content of your blog posts. My ads always have something to do with creative writing or butterflies. ;)

I get paid a smidgen when people read my blog and are exposed to the ad. If they were to click an ad, I'd get paid another smidgen. I also have recommended books in Amazon links. If someone were to buy through my affiliate link, I'd get a few pennies.

I'm not making any money, significant or insignificant, because my readership is too low. ;) Popular blogs like pioneer woman could potentially make several bucks a month from adsense ads. I try to remember to buy any books through my own link. Duh.