Menu

Latin Help

Aubrey

I have a kid who's in tears at *the thought* of Latin in the fall. She did Song School Latin a couple of years ago & didn't hate it but didn't learn a lot either. Year before last, we did Latin for Children, & we both hated it. Honestly...it was so full of errors, I finally just closed it up & figured we'd try again another year. Last year, no Latin.

So this year, I decided we should all do the same program. (Oldest has done Lively Latin & Latin Prep; I LOVE LP, but #2 isn't old enough for it yet. LL was fine, but *I* got tired of it & sold it. All that printing!!) Anyway, I was thinking MP for everybody. I have Prima Latina for my littles, was going to order First Form for #2, & then the oldest would do Henle (or maybe a combo of LP & Henle, since LP is awesome).

But when #2 heard the news, she freaked. I tried to reassure her w/ samples of FF online, but they look too much like LfC. (Really--they look frighteningly similar, but I think MP has been around a lot longer...?) So now I'm second-guessing. I haven't ordered her stuff yet, so it's not a huge deal to do something different. She struggles w/ the *logic* of language, so Latin is esp hard for her, but she has a knack for...learning languages orally, maybe? More of a social creature, if that makes sense. And I can ONLY understand languages grammatically, so...I may not be the best-suited teacher for her, lol.

Anyway, years ago in seminary, she was able to play w/ & communicate w/ *everybody* where the language barrier was a problem for most of the other kids. Last year, we did Rosetta Stone Spanish, & she did GREAT. (Computer problems inhibited the completion of that, sadly.)

So based on all of that...what should I do about Latin for a kid who's in TEARS over the thought of it? (Darn, LfC!!!)

If you're looking for an oral program that's not grammatically intimidating, I suggest I Speak Latin, by Andrew Campbell. One of my kids loves doing Latin that way, and one of them can't stand it and would rather do the work on paper. It makes for a nice break every now and then. It's a scripted lesson and fairly easy to implement.

Thanks for the suggestion! I didn't know Drew had come out w/ a Latin program. :) Ok, so dd & I looked at it, &...she had her face all scrunched up. It looks pretty teacher-intensive, & it's the kind of thing that would make me *crazy.* (Too *happy.*) LOL

But for some reason, ds pulled out LP & showed it to her, & she loves it. ????????? I was thinking she was too young for it, but she's 10, so...maybe not? I don't know, but we've already got it, so there's nothing lost to try it, & *I* love it, so that helps, lol.

Thanks for the suggestion! I didn't know Drew had come out w/ a Latin program. :) Ok, so dd & I looked at it, &...she had her face all scrunched up. It looks pretty teacher-intensive, & it's the kind of thing that would make me *crazy.* (Too *happy.*) LOL

But for some reason, ds pulled out LP & showed it to her, & she loves it. ????????? I was thinking she was too young for it, but she's 10, so...maybe not? I don't know, but we've already got it, so there's nothing lost to try it, & *I* love it, so that helps, lol.

I don't think 10 is too young for LP. I would have considered it for my 5th grader last yr but decided to go with Artes Latinae instead. She loves it. My older kids have used LP and the reason I opted for AL instead is that AL is an easier transition into Wheelock's and poetry/prose than LP. (I know very little Latin have learned a lot about curriculum and its impact via tutor and watching my kids.)

If your goal is not AP Latin, etc, I would have zero qualms about LP. Also, if you are planning on sticking with Latin every yr, starting so young with LP will be fine as well. One of mine was a 9th grader using LP at double speed and it was just really not appropriate. (hindsight and all of that. :p ) My dd that started with LP in 6th has done great and on target for AP Latin in high school. (She did LP 1 and 1/2 of 2 in 6th and took the NLE intro (I don't remember what the highest award is called for intro b/c it isn't gold, but she earned the equivalent. She finished the 2nd 1/2 of LP 2 and started So You Really Want to Learn Latin 2 in 7th (NLE level 1 gold). She finished that text and 1/2 way through 3 in 8th (NLE level 2 gold).

We are switching to a yr of Wheelock's for 9th and then she will start poetry/prose in 10th.

Younger dd will finish AL 1 and 2 and then move on to Wheelock's for a yr. (she only made it 1/2 way through 1 in 5th.)

HTH