Menu

Choosing Classical Conversations campus

ksr5377

I am in the very fortunate position of having the option between two campuses. When I first decided to do CC (only a month ago) I was told that there were no openings, but now someone is starting a new campus very close and some from the original are moving to this one. Having never been a member before I'm wondering if there's anything I don't realize I should be considering? The original campus is large, I believe their keeping it at about 50 families, with a wonderful church for their campus. The new campus will be smaller, I believe she said she wants to keep it around 25 families or so. We have several acquaintences at the original campus and know no one at the new one, however found out that several people going to it live within walking distance of us. While I love the idea of CC because of the education, I'm also looking at if for a place where we can have real relationships with other homeschoolers.

Does the first one even have openings? That might make the decision for you. Have you met the director for the new community? How did you 'click'? I had to settle into a campus that was new and I only knew a few families. But the director was experienced and great at building and managing community. She paired me up with an experienced CC mom. (I'm now that experienced mom to welcome a newbie!) I'm so glad that's the one we ended up joining because I love those families dearly and can't imagine belonging to the other group. My suggestion is to pray about it. And remember that someone, somewhere, will have a terrible experience to share but that doesn't mean that will be your experience. The communities are filling and stay full because most are happy with the friendships and the academics. Good luck with your decision.

Yes, meet both directors and find out what you can of what attracted them to CC and what they see as the strengths and weaknesses of their campus as they know it. I know that it is hard to really pin down what a newer campus will be like, but you can ask about experienced tutors, how many of the people already signed up are experienced classical homeschoolers, etc. etc.

Also some groups have pool parties or park days during the summer, so you might ask about that. It can be a good time to meet some of the people and see what they're like.

We were involved with two very different campuses during our CC years, but had no problems finding friends at either one even though the people involved were somewhat different in terms of their income, lifestyle, and experience with classical education. Both were good for us in different ways.

I would ask both directors about the ages/gender of the children involved. (I would guess there are a lot with the larger campus.) For the last 2 years, our smaller campus had LOTS of girls ds's age but only one other boy. It would have been nice if there were more boys his age. (Ironically, the age group a few years ahead of ds was all boys with just one lone girl, but the age gap was a bit much--especially when they weren't in the same class.)

Stacey brings up a good point. You also don't want to be in a community that is mostly 4-7 year olds if you have older children. Some of the newer communities can be very bottom heavy which is wonderful if you are in that age range.