Menu

Getting page numbers to show on basic Kindle?

happypamama

I just got a Kindle, the basic $69 one, for my kids to use. (I'm very impressed with the parental controls, btw.) So far, I like it a lot and think they will too. But one thing that I find a bit frustrating is that the page numbers are not showing on any books (whether they're library Kindle books, purchased Kindle books, PDFs converted to Kindle books, public domain books, etc.). At the bottom, it just shows the percent finished. It only shows "page 1 of 317" if I press the "menu" button to bring up the menu where I can change font size. Is there a way to have page numbers show up at the bottom or somewhere all the time? (I want to be able to assign the kids things like "read pages 52-60 and do the exercises.")

No, there is no other way. This is from the Amazon Q&A.

View Your Reading Progress

While you are reading, you can view pages read or the percentage of a book read on your Kindle Keyboard.

<a name="GUID-893568FB-B4EE-417F-8F92-99B4C5D1C9C6__GUID-46D6140C-F31D-4D88-BBF0-99954B982795" style="color: rgb(0, 75, 145); ">While reading, press the Menu button and track your reading progress in the bottom of the screen:

• Percentage of book read
  • Page Number
  • Location in book

If the Page Numbers Source ISBN (the print book identification number) listed under Product Details on the product detail page is the same edition as your print book, the Kindle page numbers will match the page numbers in the printed edition.

How old are the books that you've been trying to read? I've noticed that some books have the real page numbers, and some don't. It seems to depend on how long ago that digital version was "published." Books that feature "real page numbers" will say so on the description page on Amazon.

How old are the books that you've been trying to read? I've noticed that some books have the real page numbers, and some don't. It seems to depend on how long ago that digital version was "published." Books that feature "real page numbers" will say so on the description page on Amazon.

Yeah, it isn't available with all books. But for the ones it is available for, you still have to push menu to see the page number.

Thanks, everyone! I thought that was the case (and it's with all sorts of books -- old and new) but wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

So far, the Kindle is a HUGE hit for DD. She can set the font size to the right size for her, so that it's not too many words on a page, and she's happily reading a ton. :)