Menu

Lab Kit for BJU Life Science

Hi -

My daughter will be using BJU Life Science in the fall. I would like to buy a science kit to use with the investigations. Has anyone used either the kit by Logos Science of the Home Science Tools? Would you recommend one of them or one I haven't hear of?

Thank you,

Suzanne

We mostly used the one from Home Science Tools. I say mostly because I took the printout of what was included on the HST list and did minor adjustments. I didn't order expensive radiated radish seeds, for ex. Also, I ordered glass lab ware instead of plastic. I knew dd would not be killing and pinning bugs into a collection so we didn't buy those items. HST lists which lab various items go with so it is easy to eliminate the things you don't need. Also, if you are doing the videos, every lab is done by the instructor so we skipped some due to expense, trouble to do vs what you learn ratio, and that kind of thing. It was a great course that my dd thoroughly enjoyed!

I completely agree with Susan. Don't order the whole kit. Instead choose labs that you KNOW you will do and buy the materials for just those. We do the insect collection in its entirety; I've posted about it before if you want to search for that post (with pictures). I have a rising 7th grader who is collecting bugs this summer for his project. My older son's project is hanging in our kitchen! LOL! (but only because I teach a biology class in my home and we use the collection for classification work).

And I also highly recommend HST; I've been using them for years and have always been very pleased. Last year, I had one small item missing from a very large order, and they mailed it out priority the next day. Excellent customer service and overall, good prices. Plus the item reviews on the website are very helpful.

HTH!

Thank you so much! It sounds like it will definitely be worth my time to go through the labs and make sure they are activities that we will do. My insect phobia daughter will not want to do an insect collection! I think it sounds cool, but she is terrified of any bugs.

Suzanne

I completely agree with Susan. Don't order the whole kit. Instead choose labs that you KNOW you will do and buy the materials for just those. We do the insect collection in its entirety; I've posted about it before if you want to search for that post (with pictures). I have a rising 7th grader who is collecting bugs this summer for his project. My older son's project is hanging in our kitchen! LOL! (but only because I teach a biology class in my home and we use the collection for classification work).

And I also highly recommend HST; I've been using them for years and have always been very pleased. Last year, I had one small item missing from a very large order, and they mailed it out priority the next day. Excellent customer service and overall, good prices. Plus the item reviews on the website are very helpful.

HTH!

I remember your son's insect collection. It was awesome. I even made dd look at it online, trying to inspire her but she didn't want to kill the bugs. We ended up doing a capture, photograph, and release bug study but I liked yours better! She handled the dissections like a pro, just wasn't willing to kill something herself.