Menu

BJU vs Saxon for Kindergarten

Snowstorm84

My daughter also needed something slower paced for kindergarten. She was not ready to add numbers -she just needed recognition. I really liked Saxon K. It was just perfect for her- didn't require writing and was heavy in the manipulatives with short lessons. We liked it and are continuing in with Saxon. You will need the manipulatives.

Beth

I have used BJU for 20 yrs. Tried Saxon in the older grades and my math son HATED it, just thought I would mentioning our only try with Saxon. On the other hand the same son saw his little sister using BJU math and said oh I loved that math, Farmer Brown, Paddy the beaver..

BJU is gentle in the beginning but it does cover what is needed. Bright and colorful with each year a special Character and this pet to teach them the lessons. The teacher's manual takes you through daily review, mental math, word problems, and the skills which are taught in many ways to hit the different learning styles. The workpages are designed to do one side together and on their own for the other side (once they can). There is a cd that contains fact review pages and extension pages if needed.

Yes, it uses manipulatives very much. They have a student pack with card board manipulatives (pretty much all they will need for the year) or you can buy manipulatives. I did find the cardboard ones nice but you wind up with tons of little card board coins and counters. EVentually I stopped using the card board things and used plastic animals or buttons or whatever. You will need a nice unifix cube set though, these are used quite a bit.