Menu

Help me prioritize!

Autumn (12 in August) will be a very young 7th grader in the fall (well, young compared to most of her grade level peers).

She will be doing an ALL DAY co-op every Monday. At co-op she will do anatomy, engineering, writing, and grammar. That leaves us with only 4 days for the rest of our subjects; I know that doesn't seem undoable, but between her *musts* and my *musts*, I'm not sure HOW we're going to get everything done.

Does this look totally undoable? Keep in mind that while her co-op subjects are Monday only in theory, we've been told she'll have almost daily homework to complete before the next co-op, so we should add all four of her co-op subjects to the daily list.

Keep in mind that while some of this list may seen unnecessarily skill LA heavy for a 7th grader, she is dyslexic and behind in language arts, requiring some remedial work that other 7th graders may be beyond. Those with an asterik next to them, are subjects she specifically requested, and I'm more than inclined to do that for her, considering she's still reeling from finding out that the private school isn't going to work out:

Math

Religion

History***

Geography

Spelling

Reading (not quite literature, but reading comprehension)

Logic

Italian

Vocabulary

.... plus all four of her co-op classes requiring homework?

Thing is, other than the Italian (which is online), all of these seem absolutely necessary. We haven't done geography yet (at all) and she has her heart set on history (this is a HUGE deal; last year she couldn't STAND history - I mean, she hated it with a passion). It just seems so overwhelming. That's 13 separate subjects. Because she uses a dyslexic specific spelling program, she needs a separate vocabulary program... and boy does she need vocabulary! I suppose we could do without logic, but again - it's something we have to get to eventually and haven't really done yet (beyond some logic puzzle workbooks).

13 subjects. I can't see how to fit it all in. Period. What am I missing?

Autumn (12 in August) will be a very young 7th grader in the fall (well, young compared to most of her grade level peers).

She will be doing an ALL DAY co-op every Monday. At co-op she will do anatomy, engineering, writing, and grammar. That leaves us with only 4 days for the rest of our subjects; I know that doesn't seem undoable, but between her *musts* and my *musts*, I'm not sure HOW we're going to get everything done.

Does this look totally undoable? Keep in mind that while her co-op subjects are Monday only in theory, we've been told she'll have almost daily homework to complete before the next co-op, so we should add all four of her co-op subjects to the daily list.

Keep in mind that while some of this list may seen unnecessarily skill LA heavy for a 7th grader, she is dyslexic and behind in language arts, requiring some remedial work that other 7th graders may be beyond. Those with an asterik next to them, are subjects she specifically requested, and I'm more than inclined to do that for her, considering she's still reeling from finding out that the private school isn't going to work out:

Math

Religion

History***

Geography

Spelling

Logic

Italian

Vocabulary

Thing is, other than the Italian (which is online), all of these seem absolutely necessary. We haven't done geography yet (at all) and she has her heart set on history (this is a HUGE deal; last year she couldn't STAND history - I mean, she hated it with a passion). It just seems so overwhelming. That's 13 separate subjects. Because she uses a dyslexic specific spelling program, she needs a separate vocabulary program... and boy does she need vocabulary! I suppose we could do without logic, but again - it's something we have to get to eventually and haven't really done yet (beyond some logic puzzle workbooks).

Yes...if there is homework required for her co-op, it should be part of the list. HOWEVER, it's really not as bad as 13 "separate" subjects. :D

Anatomy & Engineering will be Science. (both done on Monday...and then split up homework time into 2-3 days...Anatomy Tues/Thurs/Sat. if necessary, and Engineering Weds/Fri./Sun. if necessary)

Writing, Grammar, Spelling & Vocabulary are really ONE course...in fact, in many Middle/High Schools it is lumped in with Reading, too -- for one English class :D -- Break each area out into a time slot. Grammar 4 days a week (30 min), Writing one (45 min). Spelling daily (15-20 min.), and instead of getting a whole vocabulary course, pull the vocab from what she's reading. It may mean some pre-reading on your part...but pull words from the stories she's reading, have her look up and copy the definition, write an original sentence, look up synonyms and antonyms, find out what the root of the word is and what the word would be if it were used as a noun or adjective, verb or adverb.

History and Geography can be done together (history 3 days, Geography one day...or history 3 days and Geography 2).

Foreign Languages should be done daily (imo),

And that leaves Religion, math and logic. Depending upon what you are doing for logic, it could simply be 15 minutes a day (not too hard to work in), math is an hour, and however much time you need for religion.

So, if I were putting together your schedule, it would look something like this:

Religion -- 30 min. -- T-W-R-F

Math -- 60 min. -- T-W-R-F

Anatomy -- 60 min. M-T-Th-Sat

Engineering -- 60 min. M-W-F-Sun

Grammar 30 min.-- M-T-W-R

Composition 1 hr. -- M-F

Spelling 20 min. -- T-W-R-F

Reading/Vocab 80 min. -- T-W-R-F

History/Geography 60 min.-- T-W-R-F

It's a long day...6 hours (8-11, break and then 12-3), but it's do-able.

Math

Religion

History***

Geography

Spelling

Logic

Italian

Vocabulary

What actual hrs will she be at coop? Devoting all day to 4 subjects (and I would consider writing and grammar actually only 1under the category English) w/o all of them being core subjects for a seventh grader would be unacceptable in our household. At bare minimum I would want to see math done as well on Mon.

As far as your original question, I think you need to prioritize based on what her real needs are right now until she gets caught up to a 7th grade level. I would drop logic and Italian. (Foreign Lang is hard for dyslexics. I would not use energy here yet.)

I would integrate history and geography.

Spelling and vocab are really part of English and not separate subjects and both are important, so they should be done daily.

If the coop homework is significant and impacting the completion of the core, I would drop either engineering or anatomy.

What actual hrs will she be at coop? Devoting all day to 4 subjects (and I would consider writing and grammar actually only 1under the category English) w/o all of them being core subjects for a seventh grader would be unacceptable in our household. At bare minimum I would want to see math done as well on Mon.

As far as your original question, I think you need to prioritize based on what her real needs are right now until she gets caught up to a 7th grade level. I would drop logic and Italian. (Foreign Lang is hard for dyslexics. I would not use energy here yet.)

I would integrate history and geography.

Spelling and vocab are really part of English and not separate subjects and both are important, so they should be done daily.

If the coop homework is significant and impacting the completion of the core, I would drop either engineering or anatomy.

Dropping a science isn't acceptable to *her*, lol. Now, if she wanted to, she could do grammar and/or writing at home with me, but I hesitate because this specific teacher has a significant amount of experience with dyslexics.

She will be at co-op from 9-3 every monday; an hour per subject plus an hour lunch break (there is time between classes accounting for more time, just to get from one class to another, grab some water, etc). I could easily fit in math on those days when she gets home. I had hoped to do as much.

I agree that spelling and vocabulary need to be done daily. I hesitate to pull it from her reading, because we aren't talking high quality literature exactly - her reading curriculum is an actual *reader*; I'll toss in as much lit as I feel she can handle, but it isn't much for picking vocab from. I am hoping to work through Caesar's English with her (even if I need to do so over two years).

I like the idea of history 3 days a week, geography one day a week.

ETA: I think dropping Italian and logic are good ideas and I think we probably will.

You said history is something she specifically requested this year . . . but what exactly will she be using/doing for history? Something not writing/output-intensive? Could history be integrated somewhat with her reading time, two birds with one stone? Just trying to see how to balance her desire for history with her two full science classes and related homework.

Also, maybe others would disagree, but I don't think grammar has to be covered every year, especially if remediation is needed in other areas of LA. Is it an option to not do grammar for a season, since you say she NEEDS vocab and requires a specific spelling curriculum? Needs vs. wants is hard but it does look like a lot for a 12 year old, esp. if she struggles with dyslexia. Just trying to think outside the box.

:grouphug:

You said history is something she specifically requested this year . . . but what exactly will she be using/doing for history? Something not writing/output-intensive? Could history be integrated somewhat with her reading time, two birds with one stone? Just trying to see how to balance her desire for history with her two full science classes and related homework.

Also, maybe others would disagree, but I don't think grammar has to be covered every year, especially if remediation is needed in other areas of LA. Is it an option to not do grammar for a season, since you say she NEEDS vocab and requires a specific spelling curriculum? Needs vs. wants is hard but it does look like a lot for a 12 year old, esp. if she struggles with dyslexia. Just trying to think outside the box.

:grouphug:

Well, since it's a Catholic reader, I can actually integrate it fairly easily into religion, now that you mention it (integrating it, I mean).

Her history isn't very writing intensive at all. She'll be working through Seton's world history (because it requires a lesser reading level than some others) and D'Aulaire's Greek Myths (MP guides), as per her request.

I wouldn't mind dropping grammar for the year, but she needed a class for that period of co-op and her other choice was full.