Menu

DS ~ very strong in science but average in mathematics?

Help me think through this, please :D

DS has an unusual ability to read scientific information, memorize it, and then be able to use it. He also really enjoys Science, it is his favorite subject. I would consider him average in mathematics though. He completed Saxon 7/6 for 6th grade. He understands almost everything on his own, but he is slow with calculation and he tends to make many careless errors. During this past school year, he improved significantly though. I am not even sure I am a fair judge of how he compares to a normal student since his older sister thinks math, loves math, and is very advanced in that area.

I feel that a challenge in Science could be good for him, but will the mathematics be a problem?

What if it looked like this

7th grade:

BJU Life Science

Saxon 8/7 w/ pre-algebra

8th grade:

Apologia Physical Science

Saxon Alg. 1/2 (pre-algebra)

9th grade:

Apologia Biology and Advanced Biology (1 per semester)

Saxon Alg. 1

10th grade:

Apologia Chemistry and Advanced Chemistry (1 per semester)

Saxon Alg. 2

11th grade:

AP Chem. or AP Biology

Saxon Advanced mathematics

12th grade:

Physics

Saxon Calculus

Should I switch the physics and the AP course?

Do you think the math will become an issue for the science at any point? What would you change if your child seemed to be advanced in Science but just average in mathematics?

As always, thanks for your input, correction, and perspective!

I would suggest you keep plugging away at math. As he progresses, he'll move from arithmetic a different kind of problem solving. If necessary, tell him that the math will open the doors to more science.

Ther is a lot of science that can be learned without the math, but it appears that his math and science will match up with typical students.

Keep a pluggin' away at the math, but take heart. Many career scientists are not necessarily math experts. There is a lot of collaboration at universities for research, with research teams involving science people, math/statistics people, etc. If a talent for science exists, keep nurturing it! Like English is a tool for communicating ideas verbally, math is a tool for communicating quantitative information. It's really just another language to learn.

I was just talking with my boys about how math skills seem more important than science during those "weeding out" college years for science and engineering fields.

However, in your son's case I wonder if careless mistakes are just being a boy (and you being used to a girl), and slow computation just means he needs to spend time on math facts. I like to do math facts up through fractions & decimals, knowing at least some of them backwards & forwards. We did math facts up through 7th grade, or up until starting algebra.

Also, I would allow some room for your son to possibly skip algebra 1/2 if it isn't needed, and instead spend a year or at least a semester exposing him to proof-based geometry so he understands those mathematical theorums and the proofs they rest on (very science-like). He might even be a kid who likes geometry better than other maths.

Julie

I would make sure his background also includes Computer Science and Statistics. I'm taking Coursera Physics right now, and there was a lecture how much computer and statistical models are being used in modern science over raw equations and calculations. However, because academia changes so slowly, I would still expect the two years of calculus weed out classes when he gets to college.

I agree that it is too soon to decide that your son is "only average" in math. Kids change a lot over time, but especially as they go through adolescence and the teen years.

I also don't think that you should plan so many years in advance what math curriculum he is using senior year of high school. I never used Saxon at my house, but I've heard that some older kids grow to hate it and need a change. As he gets older, he should also have a say in which areas of science he wants to do, and in which order. You do need to cover the basics of Biology, Chemistry, and Physics, but there should be room to study the student's own areas of interest in more detail.