Menu

WWE versus Primary Language Lessons with MFW 5-year cycle?

gratitude

I am planning on using ECC next year for my two oldest boys who will be in 4th and 3rd grades.

My oldest did the first half of Primary Language Lessons in 2nd grade with MFW ADV.

I am trying to decide if I should continue PLL and start Writing Strands with ECC for both boys OR if we should start Writing With Ease that I have been seriously considering for my reluctant writers.

Will WWE / WWS, as a replacement for PLL/ILL and Writing Strands, throw off the MFW LA balance throughout the 5 year cycle?

Any opinions on one or the other?

We also use R&S for grammar, but as much as I like R&S for grammar I am not fond of how it teaches composition writing. I use some of it, but would like a different source for our writing focus.

Thank you!

We have used Adventures and ECC the past two years. Originally, I looked at using PLL/ILL, but decided against it (I thought it look too boring.). So, we went with FLL/WWE, and we all loved it! I have used FLL/WWE 1-4 and will be moving on to Rod & Staff 5 this year with my 9 year old, but only because there is no FLL5 :( Because MFW allows you to choose your LA curriculum (They just recommend PLL/ILL, but don't require it.), I don't think it matters in terms of their 5 year cycle. The 5 year cycle is history and science, not LA. I hope this all makes sense!

I can't give you experience because I'm behind you, but we started FLL and WWE at the end of this year (1st). We will continue with those as we start Adv and continue on in the cycle. We really like them...so far. ;) I've seen others who use these with MFW too. I just didn't care for the look of PLL and wasn't interested. I've heard mixed things about Writing Strands. At any rate, this FLL and WWE/WWS are my plan to use with MFW through the cycle and I don't think it will affect anything. I do have to tweak a bit so I don't overlap copywork and dictation. Other than that, it's good. :D

hi gratitude!

as you know... you can use whatever language arts or math you want to use. mfw has suggestions and sells some stuff... but nothing is lost if you use other things... the key is to balance out the day and week, and not overload the child to the point of being bogged down in language arts.

WWE or WWS will be easy, no worries, substitute for Writing Strands in the mfw sequence. I struggled several times to find a groove with Writing Strands. I like a lot of things in it... but I understand what a struggle it is to use. I like how it has a few simple topics in literature analysis by having them write a story or two paying attention to buzz words of plot, climax, etc...... but that's pretty easy to add to any writing program as you discuss it. kwim?

I'm agreeing with others.... there will be parts of FLL (or PLL or ILL) that will have other types of language arts lessons separate from writing that you will probaby want to do with WWE. so whatever the common path on WWE and FLL is these days for mix/match of those....

or if you did PLL/ILL and WWE that would work too..

on the balance..... several ways to think about it in the day/week...

the mfw balance on it in their recommendations... when working on the non unit study stuff.... about 15-20 minute time frame box for English... about 3 days a week.. so PLL and ILL in about 15-20 minutes of good effort. and then Writing is about 20- 30 minutes a day, twice a week with WS and just work through the book together...... Some people will change it.... English for 15-20 for 5 days a week, and then next week in Writing all week. and of course, there's other reading/book basket, etc.... but that's not the point...

so you have a lot of flexibility. I think the WWE lessons will allow for easy sub to keep balance. a blend of R&S and something like PLL/ILL or FLL will fit in nicely in the charlotte mason time boxes that mfw seems to suggest in the big picture of the day.

Thank you ladies! :001_smile:

This does make sense. I liked PLL (my ds did not!). Reading and math came very easily and early for my oldest, but writing has been much more of a struggle. So our biggest challenge that we had with PLL was the lessons did not build incrementally and many of them were much too difficult for his writing level at that point in time in 2nd grade; he wasn't even close to ready for 8 sentence dictations at that point. I thought I should re-conisider it, but WWE just looks more like what he has needed all along. I wish he had started it in first grade when he finished MFW1!

Thank you Heather & Blessed Mommy! Your success is inspiring me!

hi gratitude!

as you know... you can use whatever language arts or math you want to use. mfw has suggestions and sells some stuff... but nothing is lost if you use other things... the key is to balance out the day and week, and not overload the child to the point of being bogged down in language arts.

WWE or WWS will be easy, no worries, substitute for Writing Strands in the mfw sequence. I struggled several times to find a groove with Writing Strands. I like a lot of things in it... but I understand what a struggle it is to use. I like how it has a few simple topics in literature analysis by having them write a story or two paying attention to buzz words of plot, climax, etc...... but that's pretty easy to add to any writing program as you discuss it. kwim?

I'm agreeing with others.... there will be parts of FLL (or PLL or ILL) that will have other types of language arts lessons separate from writing that you will probaby want to do with WWE. so whatever the common path on WWE and FLL is these days for mix/match of those....

or if you did PLL/ILL and WWE that would work too..

on the balance..... several ways to think about it in the day/week...

the mfw balance on it in their recommendations... when working on the non unit study stuff.... about 15-20 minute time frame box for English... about 3 days a week.. so PLL and ILL in about 15-20 minutes of good effort. and then Writing is about 20- 30 minutes a day, twice a week with WS and just work through the book together...... Some people will change it.... English for 15-20 for 5 days a week, and then next week in Writing all week. and of course, there's other reading/book basket, etc.... but that's not the point...

so you have a lot of flexibility. I think the WWE lessons will allow for easy sub to keep balance. a blend of R&S and something like PLL/ILL or FLL will fit in nicely in the charlotte mason time boxes that mfw seems to suggest in the big picture of the day.

:seeya: I have missed chatting with you on the MFW board!

I am glad you chimed in. I was hoping you were still around this board and might do so.

Your insights were very helpful. It gives me a clearer picture of what books each book is replacing, and what kind of skills are really being taught in the different programs. This helps a lot, and so do the time frames. I feel as vague on teaching writing as I once felt on teaching kids how to read. I seem to learn by doing in this area. :) At least math has been easy to teach!

Thank you! I am looking forward to ECC, and having two kids in the same program at last.