Menu

Toddler Toy Ideas :)

justme824

I'd love to get my toddler some new toys and I'd love to know what other toddlers out there love. I'm looking for toys that can be things that I can take along when my older is in classes and I need to play with my little one while we wait. And just any old fun toddler ideas too :)

TIA

My 2 1/2 year old is the first kid I've had who loves to play with toys. He likes:

Melissa and Doug crayons- so nice in texture, they glide over the paper, and are a triangular shape. He has a set that came in a truck case and he even likes playing with the case and driving it around.

Playdough

Do a Dot markers

Pipsqueaks markers

M&D wooden trucks- he takes his trucks everywhere with him

Green Toys trucks- these are bigger and not as portable

Little "guys" he can take everywhere- wooden Plan Toys people, Playmobil people (small parts so not for very young toddlers), and Little People people.

plastic Schleich animals

wooden puzzles

simpler jigsaw puzzles

Lauri toys- they have some nice portable lacing toys and puzzles

Anything we can sort, he really likes sorting. I get ice cube trays and trays for chips and dip from the dollar store and then we sort plastic math tiles by color, different types of dry beans, buttons, hotwheels cars, or anything else we have laying around.

Ravensburger Teddy Mix and Match

Melissa and Doug Water Wow coloring book

Leapfrog Letter Factory Phonics

Not portable, but he spends a lot of time with his play kitchen and wooden food

If you're not opposed to occassional use of electronic devices, there are some amazing apps out there for toddlers. Endless Alphabet is outstanding, and it's free!

So many of our favorites are already listed here, but I want to add Duplos and a nice shape sorter - my 2 y o loves those.

Some others we love: A good set of blocks. She loves her toy firetruck right now, too, and any cars. Little people, wooden food - we like the ones with velcro, for "cutting" practice. Do-A-Dot markers are huge here, paints (the M & D ones listed already). Oh! And sand and water play are big, big, big. A chalkboard with chalk. Bubbles. Most of our favorites are listed by PPs though. Great hive minds think alike. :)

Awesome! Thanks for getting me started. It has been quite a few years since I have had a toddler, and back then we didn't need nearly as much on-the-go type of things. But with an older who is taking a couple classes each week the little one and I need something to do besides sitting around and waiting :)