Menu

Scanner Suggestions

I want to turn my mounds of papers into digital files and I need an easy to use scanner. I have no clue where to start! The last scanner was a crappy all in one printer scanner fax. Every single scanned sheet had to be manually cropped because it was so low tech. DS has hundreds of pages of medical records just from this calendar year. I want it all digital but I do not have time to spend 15+ minutes per sheet.

I have no problem manually feeding the scanner. I do NOT want to have to lift the top for every single sheet.

I want each document saved as a PDF.

I have multi-page reports that need to be scanned in. Some reports are 20 pages. I want to have each report as a whole document, not individual documents.

I would love to be able to scan all of DS’s school work and save it digitally. It would free up a lot of shelf space in my house. I am not expecting to have all 300+ pages of last year’s math as one document. I am willing to divide it up.

I would like to be e-mail the documents I use gmail. I do not use outlook.

I have the same snapscan and. It was one of the best things I have ever bought!!

I use mine on my Mac coupled with Devon Think Office Pro, and everything is searchable PDFs. It is going to get quite the workout when I finish school in a couple if weeks. Paper has been piling and is driving me crazy.

I wasn't sure about spending that much on a scanner, but I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Guest inoubliable

Doxie. http://www.getdoxie.com

Best thing ever. You manually feed it and it turns things into pdfs. It's completely mobile, too. Comes with a wall power supply but you can use rechargeable batteries to power it on the go. (They recommend Eneloop brand. We've used those for years and they're fantastic.) They supply you with the SD card, too.

I used to have an hp all in one and every single scan needed to be manually adjusted -- horrible.

Now I use a Canon Pixma MX892 all in one that has fabulous scanning software. It ha auto adjustment for crooked pages; it knows whether a page with writing is upside side down and adjusts for that. The printer has a document feeder, so that I can put a stack of documents in and they will scan -- I can choose one sided or double sided. After the scan, I see a screen with mini pictures (which I can enlarge) of my documents. I can then check little boxes to put all the pages into one pdf or to save as a bunch of separate pdfs.

The software works on my mac with no problems.

I am scanning medical records, IEPs, some schoolwork -- not just because it will take less space, but because I might actually be able to find things, lol. I have scanned schoolwork and even mildly crumpled pieces of paper will go through the document feeder -- if it jams, the papers pull out easily; really crumpled stuff (ds) has to be scanned page by page.

I also recommend the scansnap. Fijitsu makes great scanners. They're fast and reliable.

I noticed the scansnap that was linked does not come with a scanning software. This is also something to consider when purchasing a scanner. How are you going to organize your scanned images?

I personally like a filing cabinet system. Scansnap used to come with a software program that allowed you to store things in cabinets. Check out whether you can still get that software. I think it was called ScanSnap Organizer. It was pretty good. I use File Center now which is faster and easier to use. Essentially it is just an interface that allows you to see your folders as filing cabinet drawers and folders. A lawyer developed this system as a way to organize his cases and clients. You can view it here: http://www.lucion.com/filecenter-overview.html

I have the standard version, not the pro. It's also easy to back up the files from File Center because they are all stored in one folder on your computer as "My Cabinet" or "File Center". So you just back up that folder. You can also directly access them from that folder too without having to open File Center.

I also recommend the scansnap. Fijitsu makes great scanners. They're fast and reliable.

I noticed the scansnap that was linked does not come with a scanning software. This is also something to consider when purchasing a scanner. How are you going to organize your scanned images?

THis is the one I bought from Amazon - it came with software for the PC, but the Mac side was lacking.

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I personally like a filing cabinet system. Scansnap used to come with a software program that allowed you to store things in cabinets. Check out whether you can still get that software. I think it was called ScanSnap Organizer. It was pretty good. I use File Center now which is faster and easier to use. Essentially it is just an interface that allows you to see your folders as filing cabinet drawers and folders. A lawyer developed this system as a way to organize his cases and clients. You can view it here: http://www.lucion.co...r-overview.html

I have the standard version, not the pro. It's also easy to back up the files from File Center because they are all stored in one folder on your computer as "My Cabinet" or "File Center". So you just back up that folder. You can also directly access them from that folder too without having to open File Center.

I agree on the filing cabinet type of system. Devon Think can do that (but is Mac only, and sometimes goes on mega-sale, AND has a very generous trial period of 150 hours of use!) http://www.devontech...o-office.html��

I love that when I scan something it is a searchable PDF, but it is easy enough with the ScanSnap software to send it somewhere else too - I did some photos the other day and sent them to iPhoto.

And yup, Fujitsu is a name I trust. We ran their FaxModems at work and talk about workhorses!

My mom has a Neat something, but I don't think she uses it that often.....

Oh, and I would only buy a duplex scanner after having one. Both sides, one pass, BAM. Done. :p

If you're referring to the link I posted, it does indeed come with software. If you scan down and read the description it says:

Useful Scanning Software Included

The ScanSnap S1300i comes with the tools you need to get the most out of your ScanSnap. Included in the package are several useful applications that work with Mac and PC:

ScanSnap Organizer V4.1 (PC)--Keep all your scans neatly organized and easily accessible with ScanSnap Organizer. View and edit scans, create filing cabinets, perform searches and more.

Cardiris V3.6 (Mac)--With Cardiris business card OCR software for Mac adding and managing contact information is a breeze. Scanned business card info can be edited and then exported to Address Book, Entourage, AppleWorks, vCard and other contact management systems.

CardMinder V4.1 (PC)-- With CardMinder 4.1 for Windows adding and managing contact information is a breeze. Simply place the card in the scanner and push the button. CardMinder 4.1 captures the business card and places the information into editable fields. Foreign language card? No problem. CardMinder 4.1 recognizes 8 different languages and can export to Outlook, Excel and other contact managers.

ABBYY FineReader for ScanSnap (Mac and PC)--This popular OCR (optical character recognition) software lets you scan documents with machine print directly to Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.

Scan to Mobile--Like all current ScanSnap models, the S1300i can scan to cloud services Evernote, Google Docs, Salesforce CRM, SugarSync and SharePoint Online (for Windows).

If you're referring to the link I posted, it does indeed come with software. If you scan down and read the description it says:

Useful Scanning Software Included

The ScanSnap S1300i comes with the tools you need to get the most out of your ScanSnap. Included in the package are several useful applications that work with Mac and PC:

ScanSnap Organizer V4.1 (PC)--Keep all your scans neatly organized and easily accessible with ScanSnap Organizer. View and edit scans, create filing cabinets, perform searches and more.

Cardiris V3.6 (Mac)--With Cardiris business card OCR software for Mac adding and managing contact information is a breeze. Scanned business card info can be edited and then exported to Address Book, Entourage, AppleWorks, vCard and other contact management systems.

CardMinder V4.1 (PC)-- With CardMinder 4.1 for Windows adding and managing contact information is a breeze. Simply place the card in the scanner and push the button. CardMinder 4.1 captures the business card and places the information into editable fields. Foreign language card? No problem. CardMinder 4.1 recognizes 8 different languages and can export to Outlook, Excel and other contact managers.

ABBYY FineReader for ScanSnap (Mac and PC)--This popular OCR (optical character recognition) software lets you scan documents with machine print directly to Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.

Scan to Mobile--Like all current ScanSnap models, the S1300i can scan to cloud services Evernote, Google Docs, Salesforce CRM, SugarSync and SharePoint Online (for Windows).

Thanks for pointing that out for everyone. I did not scroll all the way down--I had seen that Amazon was suggesting that you get it bundled with software for filing. . .and since that was not in the top part of the description I thought that it didn't have it. The suggestion for the Mac seems like a good program too.

I also agree with everyone that duplex is the way to go!

I use my husband's HP 8600 Plus all in one printer. It lets me duplex scan 50 pages at a time ( so 100 sides total), and it will save it as a pdf file on a usb stick (or on your computer). You can use the flat bed also, but it has the top document feeder for sticking a stack of papers in.

The printer is cheaper than the scanner everyone is mentioning. It's also much bigger though, if space is an issue.

I use my husband's HP 8600 Plus all in one printer. It lets me duplex scan 50 pages at a time ( so 100 sides total), and it will save it as a pdf file on a usb stick (or on your computer). You can use the flat bed also, but it has the top document feeder for sticking a stack of papers in.

The printer is cheaper than the scanner everyone is mentioning. It's also much bigger though, if space is an issue.

I have an HP Office Jet 7540 (?) with a document feeder - no duplex scanning though. It has some feed issues at the moment too (my mom's developed them too), so it was becoming a lot of work

For me personally the difference is the scan snap sits right here, between my monitor and keyboard. Which translates to it gets used! The printer is on the network and in another room. I love my printer (it is as cheap to print on as a laser), and was happy to have the scanner on it - but my scan snap runs rings around it! :p When I treated myself to the scan snap, it was because I knew the stuff I wanted to scan was already NOT being scanned with what I owned. I had had sheet scanners in the past with the PaperPort scanners and loved them, I honestly hadn't considered the scan snap because of the cost until I started researching software for storing various pieces of information when I decided to go back to school. That is when I encountered DevonTHink, and it knew that I wanted that piece of software - and then I discovered the scan snap worked with it. I was intrigued. So for me, it was a packaged deal that worked with my goals - I think that before investing in a scanner, one should look at how they will use the materials, and where they are going to store them. That can in turn drive the scanner because you might love a piece of software that was exactly what you envision, and then find out it doesn't work with your scanner.

Soooo, research!!!! :D

Regardless of where she ends up - one-pass duplex scanning just rocks!

• 1 month later...

I bought a doxie. IT SUCKS. It saves everything as an image. I have been in contact with customer support and have followed their suggestions. It works great for scanning a single page. I am currently attempting to scan a simple 10 page report and save it as a single PDF. I have had it less than 48 hours and am very close to stuffing it back in the box and returning it. I need EASY. I have thousands of pages to scan in and I do not want to have to fight with it for every little thing. Oh and it is a pain in the neck to hand feed everything into it. I have reports that need to be scanned and saved as one PDF that contain 50 pages. If customer service cannot help me fix it this time I plan to ship it back and to buy a Scansnap.

:(

Did you mention if you had a Mac or PC? On the Mac I can open a PDF in preview and drop pages from other ones I have open into the document. Its easy to combine multiple scans. I would think there should be a way on windows too.

Hopefully you can get it working with their help!

:(

Did you mention if you had a Mac or PC? On the Mac I can open a PDF in preview and drop pages from other ones I have open into the document. Its easy to combine multiple scans. I would think there should be a way on windows too.

Hopefully you can get it working with their help!

I did. The suggestion works but only for one page, yes it does give me the option to staple multiple pages but it will not scan the other pages.

I really do not have hours and hours and hours to spend scanning. I wanted a scanner that will make my life easier, not suck more time away from my family which is what this ended up doing. I have spent hours trying to scan in 10 pages. 10. I have thousands of pages I need to scan in. I cannot spend hours and hours for every 10 pages. All that I have from those hours are 10 pictures that are too large to e-mail and were supposed to be saved as a PDF and e-mailed.

Oh, I meant "Preview", the built in PDF/file viewer on the Mac.... I know nothing about the Doxie.

I'd be returning it at this point, especially if it isn't creating PDFs like they say the 2 models can output. I'd go nuts with it taking hours!

Maybe since KK has on you could drop her a message about it.

I truly get that you just want it to work.... I can totally relate to that!