Menu

Bravewriter people - talk to me?

Spryte

Can you tell me what your week/month looks like, while implementing BW?

I have just started reading TWJ, and have ordered a subscription to the Arrow (have not received it yet), and would like to get an idea of what our lives will look like day to day, once we implement this.

If you use a schedule, I'd love to hear it. Or if you just loosely follow along, I'd love to hear some ramblings on how that works, too.

Do you use any other writing programs? We were using WWE, and I'm not sure if we'll continue with it or drop it for now. DS would rebel at overkill, so if it's not necessary, we might just do BW. Spelling and grammar still necessary? (I'm guessing/planning on yes to continuing our current spelling/grammar.)

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks!

Well, everyone knows we do BW, though we tweak it and do it how we want. My kids are in third grade. Here's what we aim for:

Monday: Dictation (usually I pick from whatever book we're reading)

Tuesday: Reading plus a written narration - usually for science, sometimes something random or for history

Wednesday: Poetry Tea

Thursday: writing projects

Friday: freewriting

We don't use the same days she suggests because our schedule is our schedule. Who cares which day is what. We also do AAS. This year, we spent a few months slowly reading and Grammarland off and on. That was nice. We also begin our day with "morning work" which is usually a quick worksheet or art challenge or something and sometimes that's a fun writing-related thing (like a worksheet from Tin Man Press's Just Write) or a grammar/proofreading thing (we have a couple Scholastic e-books for this - I like the Fairy Tale Proofreading one). We aim for one writing project a month.

We read every day - both aloud and independently. My kids have to read one "required" reading book a month. We just discuss.

The reality is that we usually only get to poetry teas a couple times a month. Also, our whole schedule gets shifted around pretty regularly. It's pretty common for us not to school on a weekday and then do school on Sat and Sun. I treat the whole thing as a sort of mental checklist for the week. I think other families can be much more regulated about it, but this works for us.

Oh, and we also do movie nights and discussions. But a couple times a month.

Thank you. That is exactly what I needed to see, just to get a feel for where we are heading.

We have been using MCT and AAS, and I was planning on continuing with both of those. It sounds like we might take a break from WWE for now, and maybe explore some other options. This is good - a change will be good for all here. :)

I'm excited!

I haven't used BW yet, still in the planning stages, so not sure if this is helpful or not, but this is my tentative plan:

Monday: narration from history/science/literature

Tuesday: Copywork via the Arrow/ Discussion of The Arrow literary element/ poetry teas (probably once or twice a month)

Wednesday: Dictation via The Arrow and grammar discussion from the Arrow

Thursday: narration from history/science/literature

Friday: Free writes/writing projects

I lean more towards combining WWE/BW though, so I have more emphasis on narrations than I have seen in BW.

ETA: dd will also do cursive copywork a couple times a week, formal spelling, and grammar.