Menu

(Long shot, lol) If you use Core Knowledge History....

....Is it worth supplementing with Story of the World??? Would it be too hard to line up the chapters, etc???

We will be starting 1st grade in the fall...I have the Core Knowledge books and the Teachers Handbook....I also have Story of the World. After MUCH deliberation, I think I'll go with CK...but at the same time, I don't want to miss out on SOTW. Sigh...

Is there a schedule somewhere on what chapters to read from SOTW to line up with CK? I realize the "schedule" is such a long shot, but I thought I'd ask because if anyone knows...it would be someone here. :)

Thanks!

I don't have the books in front of me, but Core Knowledge spends three years working through the material in SOTW 1, so you could just spread 12 or so chapters over each year, or do them as a read aloud over the summers as a review.

• 2 weeks later...

Supplementing doesn't mean you need to line things up. I use a primary curriculum to expect output from, but then I just READ from other resources, often WITHOUT lining them up with the primary curriculum. It adds variety and review.

It's okay to just READ. Really! And I often just read from textbooks. Yes, I do. Textbooks are not nearly as dry as some people claim, especially when used a bit below grade level. And I read aloud from encyclopedias too.

Supplementing doesn't mean you need to line things up. I use a primary curriculum to expect output from, but then I just READ from other resources, often WITHOUT lining them up with the primary curriculum. It adds variety and review.

It's okay to just READ. Really! And I often just read from textbooks. Yes, I do. Textbooks are not nearly as dry as some people claim, especially when used a bit below grade level. And I read aloud from encyclopedias too.

:thumbup: good advice