Menu

Saxin Algebra 1/2: A question for those who have used the program

Serenade

What are we supposed to do with the additional topics at the end of the book? Are they important and necessary for progressing to Algebra? Will they be covered in future books? I am frustrated and googled, but I still can't find any information about how necessary these topics are and what we're supposed to do with them. We've had a long, hard year of math and are down to 2 remaining lessons and some tests. I'd hate to feel pressure to do these topics, too. LOL, my son might just cry. I might, too. There are no tests on this material, so I'd like to think it's not important at this time. I'm just really confused why there is no explanation as to what to do with this stuff.

We're currently doing the additional topics (one left). I can't answer how necessary they are, though. I wanted to do them in case they prove helpful on the testing my daughter is doing on Saturday.

I had planned on my son doing them, too, but right now we are both a bit burned out on math. I think he'll have time to do a few of them, but probably not all. If I knew they were really important, we'd probably just push on, but I think I'd rather not. LOL.

Thank you for your input!

We do them at the end of the year before the final exam. I don't really remember how important they were. However, I can't imagine there is anything in Saxon that won't be covered again the following year. :tongue_smilie:

This is a good point. Right now, I plan on continuing with Saxon throughout high school, so with any luck these topics will be covered in another level. I just wish I wouldn't feel guilty if we skipped them! And I really wish that Saxon would have given an explanation as to what to do with this section. It's just stuck at the end of the book with not a word about it. Unless I missed something somewhere, and that's entirely possible, too.

We never did them because it was the end of the year and we were needing to be done. He's gone through Algebra 1 successfully and we never noticed that we were missing something.

Beth

This is very helpful! Good to know that if we skip it, he won't be behind.

We are in the same situation as you -- we just need to be done. I think he'll have a few days to do some of these topics while his brother finishes up his math, but fitting them all in would be problematic. I think I'll just let him pick which ones he'd like to do. I know he's expressed interest in doing the one about trigonometry.

Thank you!