Menu

Tests for A History of US?

Kathie in VA

I'll be using SL core 100 with my kids this year. I'm considering getting tests for the History of US books also. I'm not sure if they are really necessary after all the help in the SL guides. With SL we will be listening to some of it read aloud, reading some of it silently, doing the mapwork, maintaining a timeline book, and going over the student questions (probably orally but maybe some of that written work). We might do some of the papers, but I want to focus on the papers from our writing program this year. If I add in some actual tests on the History of US bks then we will have an easy way to get some grades and practice test taking skills.

So if I go the test taking route, which tests should I get? There are the

History of US Assessment tests. Amazon sells these for about $50. They seems to be multiple choice type tests, which would be fine. Then there is the History Of US Junior High Syllabus & Tests from Hewitt Homeschool. This only sells for $9, a big difference! Problem is I can't tell what kind of tests these are, how many tests it includes (is it one per bk? per chapter? per few chapters?). Can anyone clarify this for me?

Any suggestions/comments? :bigear:

TIA

though I picked up the set for much less at a used curriculum sale. I don't know anything about Hewitt's. The $50 version has one test for ever 2-3 chapters. They are all multiple-choice, I think 20 questions/test. They are, in my opinion, pretty difficult for MC tests and are helpful in encouraging my daughter to solidify her grasp of the nitty-gritty facts. We also use SL's discussion questions and some of the other resources you mentioned, but I like having the tests. Don't know that I would like them better than the Hewitt version, of course. They are quick to give and take, which is a plus in our crammed-full HS day.

I know that probably wasn't much help--sorry!

Terri