Menu

Can I include this on transcripts?

My daughter studies Japanese for her foreign language credit. She also took up self-educating for French and Latin.

It's not enough to call it a full credit, but possibly enough for a quarter or half credit. Can this be included on her transcript, or would it be frowned upon to study another language with less intensity?

I may stir a sea of controversy, but I shy far away from 1/4 credits. I write that off to part of learning done because we are thinking creatures with curiosities and we draw breath. If she did enough to form up a 1/2 credit I give Dd the benefit.

One possibility might be to fuse the Latin and French exploration and call it Introduction to Romance Languages. Given she is studying Japanese as her main foreign language, what she is doing stands out in that it is going a different direction.

I would also tend not to include an isolated 1/4 credit. (I do give 1/4 credits for cumulative courses where a full credit is earned over the course of all four years of high school).

So, if the work does not amount to at least half a credit ( 60+ hours), I would not bother listing it on the transcript. Not everything our kids do needs to "count".

I agree in general it's better to avoid 1/4 credits if possible. I have, however, put them on the transcript in two instances. One was an outside class that both my dc took--a rather unique art apprection-type discussion course that met once a week for 8 weeks. It took valuable school time during those 8 weeks, plus prep time, and it helped fill a niche on the transcripts, so I included it. The other instance was for a PE course--fitness walking at home. We only had time to do it for about the length of a semester, and I have PE earn half the credit of an academic course, so it ended up 1/4 credit. But we needed PE on the transcript, so it went on.

None of the colleges ds and dd applied to batted an eye.