Menu

"Scootie Bugs"

I don't know what they are -- I call them Scootie Bugs because they're so darn hard to squish because they don't sit in one place for very long, and they fly in a zig zag pattern so zapping 'em in mid-air is almost impossible. They're like the bugs you find on the rotted potato that you didn't notice behind the bin until it was, well, rotted!

But I don't *have* any rotted potatoes -- no potatoes at all, actually -- in the house and, as far as I know, there are no "surprises" tucked under the sofa. There's no "smelly" places. We've even looked under the house to see if they're coming from there.

Last year, for a few weeks, we had a terrible problem with them. You couldn't even sit on the sofa without having dozens of them flying around your face. We took that sofa apart looking for something -- anything! -- but there was nothing there but $0.27.

This year, they aren't in any one place, and there aren't a lot of them, either, but it only takes one or two to be a huge nuisance. Interestingly enough, they are *not* in the kitchen!

Does anyone know what these nasty little beasts are and what I should be looking for so I can get rid of them?!

Ok, so what do these little guys look like? They're not termites are they? There is also some variety of winged cockroach things.:tongue_smilie:

Nope, nope -- they're smaller than that. Here in the land of "Show Me The Bugs!" we have termites and those nasty flying roach things (though the heat seems to have settled *them* down!), and moths and grasshoppers the size of B-52s!

Lemme see -- they're like the flies on old bananas, but a little bigger. They're black, maybe 2mm long, and they kind of "flit about" -- they get on you and zip here and zag there and then fly off before you can squish them. They like to fly around my face for some reason -- must be the sweetness. :D

You have to do a whole-hand squish on these guys 'cause they move so fast. A finger squish won't do it because by the time your finger gets there, they're not there anymore! :lol:

They sound like fruit flies

Could be -- very mature fruit flies ('cause they're bigger than the ones I used to find on bananas) -- but where's the fruit? :lol:

Do you know what else they might be attracted to? There's nothing in my house -- that I can find --

I'm wondering if there's something nasty outside and a few of them have just wandered in here? That's not a stretch. There's usually something nasty outside. :lol:

They sound like fungus gnats, very similar to fruit flies. They tend to breed in places like your sink drains because it is nice dark and moist with little bits of food etc. Everynight before bed, pour some cooking oil down all your drains, it suffocates the eggs and larvae, the adults only have a life span of a couple days so within 4-5 days you should notice them long gone.

I don't have a clue what they are, but this works to get rid of Fruit flies..

It can't hurt.

Take a jar with a lid and fill it half full of vinegar. Punch holes in the lid, slarge enough for bugs to fly in, but not huge, so they can't fly back out.

Ok, it's gross looking at them all dead and drowned in there, but it works!

They sound like fungus gnats, very similar to fruit flies. They tend to breed in places like your sink drains because it is nice dark and moist with little bits of food etc. Everynight before bed, pour some cooking oil down all your drains, it suffocates the eggs and larvae, the adults only have a life span of a couple days so within 4-5 days you should notice them long gone.

I was curious about this thread, because we have the same type of bug in our house, almost always in the bathroom! I had been thinking they might be coming out of the sink drain, but figured that was nuts!

Ewww! Guess I'll be stocking up on cheap cooking oil!

Michelle T

Hi Kris,

I live in MO, the land of Show Me Bugs, also and these do sound like gnats. Some people think that gnats are only attracted to fruits and veggies left out but they also flock around sour washrags and dishrags. We have to wash out the sink and dry it every night, forget leaving any dirty dishes in it, and definately hang dishrags out to dry. These nasty little things are also attracted to sweat so when it is hot out they just flock around you and also especially around dogs for some reason.:glare:

I think we have a winner!!!

I remember now that earlier this year (and last year, too) we had a LOT of these in the bathtub, of all places, for a week or two.

Oil it is! Woo hoo!! (AND I just squished one!) LOL!

Thanks!

I was curious about this thread, because we have the same type of bug in our house, almost always in the bathroom! I had been thinking they might be coming out of the sink drain, but figured that was nuts!

Me, too! I figured I was missing something somewhere. I mean, we *do* use the shower almost daily -- wouldn't they be washed down? Guess not! LOL!