Menu

New to Classical Education, Anyone Used Hillsdale Academy Curriculum?

Guest TurtleMama85

Guest TurtleMama85

I found out about "The Well-Trained Mind" through Hillsdale Academy because they recommended it for the parents/teachers to read. I just found Hillsdale Academy tonight and my husband and I are thinking about following their recommendations starting next year. We have 3 boys, ages 8, 3, and 4 months. We follow an eclectic method, with a Charlotte Mason leaning currently.

I was just wondering if anyone follows the Hillsdale Academy Curriculum outline and more information about it. Thanks!

http://www.hillsdale.edu/academy/academics/curriculum.asp

Heather

I had heard Hillsdale was branching out into the earlier grades. Glad to hear it! Hillsdale is a fabulous school! I has a great reputation and is a very patriotic school, which we need more of in this country, if you ask me. I took a quick look, and it looks pretty good. I think it is probably pretty new (as far as the earlier grades go), so just take that part with a grain of salt. Also, if they recommend something that is tried and true (like WTM), I tend to have more confidence in their program.

Hot Lava Mama

Guest TurtleMama85

Margaret in CO, did you follow their suggestions? How did you like it, if you did? I really enjoy the Charlotte Mason teachings, but my husband is concerned by the lack of solid grammar teaching in the lower grades, so I am thinking a classical approach would be a great melding of both our wants in a curriculum :) Anyway the Hillsdale looks like it would be nice because it would be all planned out and we like Imprimis which Hillsdale College puts out every month, so I'm pretty glad I found it. It's tough finding anyone who has actually follewed the program, though!

I have the VERY first syllabus they ever put, when they first started the Academy.

I have that syllabus too! We used portions of it but not the whole thing. There really wasn't much detail and other curriculums were easier to use so I drifted away.

Oddly enough I just looked at it online last week. Much more detail.:) Nice schedules. Solid curriculum choices. I actually just recommended it to a friend with an eight year old as an option with scedules.