Menu

Can CLE Language Arts be started at grade 6? What are the pros/cons of CLE LA?

HappyGrace

Ds did most of Hake Grammar 5 in 4th grade so he knows how to diagram, etc. I would mainly want this curriculum for the grammar and maybe the spelling (don't care about penmanship and all that other stuff.)

What are the positives and negatives of it that you can mention?

Is there enough practice on the spelling words to master them by the end of the week? Is there enough explanation of the concepts? (we did CLE 2 and I thought the explanations were lacking but the samples from 6 seem better) Approx. how long does a lesson take?

I'll take any feedback from anyone who's used it! Thanks!

Yes. I'd say you can start in 6th. I'd get their cheat sheet and answer book just in case. :-)

Pro - thorough, spiral, cheap, student led.

Spelling - the longer I do this the more I see that some kids can spell, and sOme can't. For the '"can't" crowd nothing normal is usually enough. For CLE I think it's a very reasonable, normal student level spelling. Nonspellers may not flourish, but all others should be fine.

I switched from CLE to Hake. I found CLE to be scattered. BUT, I think if you've already done Hake, CLE might be really good for review. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the lessons are shorter, so you could keep the information fresh without spending as much time on grammar.