Menu

what to do after geometry and algebra 2?

Can someone give me some ideas of what kind of math credit my daughter should do: she has complete algebra 1 and 2 and geometry. She will be a junior so has two more years. We do want her to do a personal finance course-would that count as an elective or as a math credit? Most likely, she is not going to do STEM in college-though she has no idea what she wants to do.

I am open to anything though something that is not too rigorous would be best.

thanks

pam

Pre-Calc should be one of those years. If she is going to college at all, most want to see that course and it will help her for whatever math she takes in college.

Then Stats is often suggested for those not headed into STEM fields or Calc dependent fields.

Personal finance is a good course to have, but it's generally an elective. If either Pre-Calc or Stats doesn't work for you, then you could try it as a math credit, but it's usually just half a credit.

I'll second Creekland's suggestions. Pre-calculus helps with admissions and standardized tests and statistics is useful for many areas of study. I would definitely recommend both or at least one, but if not, maybe you could add a half credit of accounting to the personal finance to make a full credit.

I would also recommend precal or college algebra. Even if she goes into a major where college algebra is the only math class she has to take, it will be easier for her if she takes precal or college algebra at home over a full year before trying to cram college algebra into one semester. I tutored a lot of people through college algebra. Several of them were on 2nd or 3rd tries at the course. They just had to have one math credit and that was the lowest level class that counted.

A statistics course is good as well.

For my oldest, we did Precalculus in 11th - which is largely trigonometry, and some deeper diving into Algebra topics, and depending on the course, some early calculus.

Then, we followed this up with Blue Hen's AP Statistics through PA Homeschoolers. Great class, and a great subject for many humanities and business careers.