Menu

Language Arts, 7th grade

Dd has been using LLATL and BJU spelling. I want more grammar review. I like that LLATL is an "all-in-one". Dd is not always crazy about the book study selections though.

I'm considering one of the following for 7th grade this fall:

Easy Grammar

CLE Lang Arts

Growing with Grammar

Hake

LLATL with Daily Grams

Her spelling is fine. Thinking about adding a vocabulary curr. (any suggestions?)

She loves writing fan-fiction and creative fiction stories, but we're adding IEW SWI for formal type writing.

Can you share any pros/cons on these please? I just cannot make up my mind.

Thank you!

I think I would do either CLE LA or Hake. I haven't done CLE LA in 7th, though I'm liking it's thoroughness for my younger ones. My oldest has done over half of Hake 8 (we didn't start it until February - we are Analytical Grammar drop outs). I have really liked it for him. I'm guessing that it might be easier to jump into Hake than CLE at this level, but I don't have personal experience to base that on. I never used Easy Grammar, but we did try Daily Grams a couple times. It was fine for keeping a little grammar going when we couldn't figure out what to try next (LOL), but it wasn't enough instruction for my oldest. I also haven't used Growing with Grammar, but it has a reputation for being too predictable and not sticking. Oh, if you go with Hake, there's a little vocabulary in that. I think Hake and IEW would be good choices, imho.

You could use Analytical Grammar to supplement. It's an intense grammar program, but it works! It's divided into 3 sections and dd would work through these over the course of two years (taking breaks). What I liked about it is that my ds wasn't going over the same stuff again and again. He actually got into the meat of grammar and understood it.

You didn't mention Character Quality Language Arts. It is similar in layout to LLATL, but there is more work to the program and it has a great writing component. There is more grammar and vocab than LLATL, but it's not intense. There are month samples you can print off to try. There was a learning curve for dc and me and I took it very slowly in the beginning. Over time it became an independent program for us.

www.tfths.com