Menu

Can anyone compare BJU and CLE?

thowell

Well, I haven't used it yet, but I've been looking at my friend's BJ Math 4 and have the first half of the student book here in front of me. My dd just finished the CLE 300 series also (I let her test out of the last couple books) and really wants to switch to BJ Math. She got bored with CLE Math too; I think it has too much review for her (I usually crossed out some of the review stuff). BJ looks much more interesting, has more variety, and uses some color. Here are some details about Ch. 3: Fractions to give you an idea. First page of each chapter contains a theme picture, a "To the Parent" note, a paragraph re Capt. Bailey and Clipper, and "Math in the Home" (which includes ideas about using everyday objects to teach math and which math facts the student will be reviewing in the chapter). The Ch. 3 Note to Parent says "In Chapter 3, your child will study the following concepts about fractions: part of a whole; part of a set; fraction of a set; compare and order fractions and mixed numbers; add and subtract fractions and mixed numbers; improper fractions." Then pages 67-82 are the work pages. At the bottom of every other work page, it says something like "Complete Daily Review a on page 83." Pages 83-86 contain the daily review sections. Then Chap. 3 Review is on pg. 87-88. A section called Cumulative Review (which could be used as a quiz) is on pg. 89-90. Each chapter ends with something like a game, career link, etc. Ch. 3 ends with a page about an elementary teacher and how she uses math. I don't have the tm in front of me but I really like how BJ tms are organized. I hope all this info helps a little bit. :)

Edited by oneddmanybooks

I used BJU 3rd, 4th, and ds has started 5th. I used CLE in the past during a time I was "curriculum hopping". I've tried several things that included Horizons, CLE, BJU, and Singapore. I settled on BJU because ds liked it the most, and I felt it presented the information in a usable way as well as giving me tools for teaching. CLE was a little more advanced in it's scope and sequence, but BJU does a very good job of keeping up with current trends in mathematics while being strong in the basics. They are good at including statistics and pre-algebra concepts. BJU is good at presenting things conceptually and using manipulatives to help teach the why. The teacher's manual is much more helpful than CLE's. The CD that comes with the TM is awesome and is full of enrichment activities, extra practice pages, teaching charts, etc.

Ds is good in math and really understands a lot of concepts even before the curriculum introduces it, so I felt comfortable picking from most programs out there. I have a math degree, so I think he's taking after me.

Thank you. Since your dd is in the same place as mine, do you see BJU 4th will be alot of repeat of topics we covered this year in CLE 300?

Sorry I haven't answered yet. There will always be some repeat at this level of math, of course. I think dd will fly through the first 3 or so chapters, then settle down to a comfortable pace. I probably won't make her do every single problem. I think that my dd is familiar with a lot of the math, but not solid and quick in it. I definitely do not think she is ready for BJU 5.

The newest versions of BJU Math are much better than the older versions. We had a tough time going from old version BJU Math 6 to new version BJU 7, for example. I know I taught my dd out of the new version BJU Math 3 and it was easy to do with the TM (and no DVD). In our case, I was able to skip BJU Math 4 and go on to BJU Math 5, maybe in part because we did go back to the old version at the time because the new edition wasn't out yet. We never used CLE, so cannot compare.

The newest versions of BJU Math are much better than the older versions. We had a tough time going from old version BJU Math 6 to new version BJU 7, for example. I know I taught my dd out of the new version BJU Math 3 and it was easy to do with the TM (and no DVD). In our case, I was able to skip BJU Math 4 and go on to BJU Math 5, maybe in part because we did go back to the old version at the time because the new edition wasn't out yet. We never used CLE, so cannot compare.

Just a quick note on this. Yes, the new versions are wonderful compared to the older versions, however. BJU K-6 math is teacher intensive and the program is written this way. Grades 7 -9 new versions are more student lead and even though the TM has teaching it is more for a school setting and not really needed unless you the parent need it in order to assist. The student books are geared to promote self learning. I have not seen the newer grade 10 book so I can not comment on this. Naturally the transition between grade 6 and 7 needs some hand holding but just thought I would let you know why.

BJU is very solid math. It does break down some in the Geometry, Algebra 2, Pre Cal but they are rewriting these (as they did with pre algebra and algebra) and if they continue on the same path these rewrites will be excellent.