Menu

Kudos to my high school (where I work) - AP related

I know I often complain about my high school, so I thought I should give credit when they do something that impresses me...

This year we started offering to proctor AP tests for homeschoolers - for free (they pay for the test) - even though our school, itself, doesn't offer AP and doesn't have any students self-studying for them. We're giving at least two different tests for some homeschoolers (their request as to which tests). ;)

The last couple of years when I needed testing for middle son I was told our school wouldn't give them since we didn't offer them to our own students. My guy had to go to the next town to the local Catholic high school. He did fine, but it would have been far more convenient where I work.

I'm SUPER impressed that they've had a change of heart even though I no longer need APs. I thought I'd mention it just to let folks know that schools can change. NOTE: the homeschooler still has to live in our district, so it likely won't help "you," but I wanted to share anyway.

The testing coordinator at our school (also a good friend) told me she just reasons that "They live in our district (pay taxes) and we're all here anyway (proctors), so it doesn't cost us anything..." AND the powers that be in charge are no longer nixing it (as they did when I asked for my guy).

Kudos to my school!!!

That really is awesome. Well done to them.

:iagree: I wish more high schools would treat homeschoolers like mine does. They've always been great with PSAT testing and just the general regs that PA requires. I really never expected this latest change since they wouldn't do the AP tests for my homeschoolers (and I work there), but I'm absolutely thrilled that they've changed. It gives me beams of pride - seriously.

:hurray: Bravo to them! I am hoping that the high school where I taught takes an enlightened view in a year or two when I approach them to see if my dd can write AP exams there. They do currently offer AP Eng Lit and AP Calc AB courses (no AP Chem anymore since I left) but I'm crossing my fingers that they'll see their way to proctoring others APs as well. We're pretty isolated here - if we have to travel for APs, it'll be an overnight trip and I don't know how conducive that is to a good mental state for the student.

Great news, Creekland! We live in a large metropolitan area, where you'd think it would be no big deal to add another chair. The numbers of kids doing AP testing here are huge. But one school might be clueless and another extremely helpful. In Fairfax County, Virginia this year and last, we've paid $87 for the exam plus $13 proctoring fee = $100 total for each exam. That's at the public high school 40 minutes away. Our local school (and my own alma mater) is much closer, but wanted to charge $87 + $100 = $187 for taking an exam, probably because the coordinator misread something. She sounded so apprehensive (!) and unsure about the whole thing that I just decided to move on. Thinking of Dicentra, I feel very lucky about getting to choose.

Great news, Creekland! We live in a large metropolitan area, where you'd think it would be no big deal to add another chair. The numbers of kids doing AP testing here are huge. But one school might be clueless and another extremely helpful. In Fairfax County, Virginia this year and last, we've paid $87 for the exam plus $13 proctoring fee = $100 total for each exam. That's at the public high school 40 minutes away. Our local school (and my own alma mater) is much closer, but wanted to charge $87 + $100 = $187 for taking an exam, probably because the coordinator misread something. She sounded so apprehensive (!) and unsure about the whole thing that I just decided to move on. Thinking of Dicentra, I feel very lucky about getting to choose.

FWIW, it might be worth a quick note to the AP coordinator who wanted to charge the higher price. My understanding is that at least within the same district the price is the same.

I think you tested at the school I'm planning to use next year for Govt. So far on the phone they have been quite helpful. This is a big contrast to what I was led to believe by parents of kids a little older than mine. Their experience was that while schools were required to accept out of district students, in practice they were not welcoming. So perhaps things are changing for the better.

My public school has been great with AP testing as well. They don't charge a proctoring fee and even permit homeschoolers from outside our township to take AP exams at the school.

Last year, my son took an exam in a subject that had not been offered that year at the school. He was still able to take the AP at the school with no additional proctoring fee even though he was the only student taking the exam.