Menu

How to encourage writing over the summer??

mommyto4QT

My child will be going into 3rd grade in the fall. I feel that the only subject he needs more work on is writing. Not handwriting, but actually putting ideas down on paper.

He is a child that LIKES workbooks, and asks to do "learning activities" even on the weekends and summer.

I thought about getting a fun writing workbook for him to work on slowly over the summer. However, I don't have any homeschool stores nearby to view materials. It's hard online to get a feel for something.

I'm looking for something fun, inexpensive, etc to encourage writing. Looking for any ideas/suggestions!

Just a few thoughts (excuse my brevity - I'm typing on my phone): there are Scott Foreman (sp?) grammar and writing books freely and fully available as PDFs online, NaNoWriMo has its elementary workbook a available for free download (you could order a hard copy but at least you could look all through it first) and some work books at the Carson Dellosa website can be previewed in their entirety online so that might be worth checking out. I'm sorry that I have no specific recommendations!

How's his spelling? If he hasn't mastered at least 1000 words yet, then it's perfectly normal that it would be difficult for him to put ideas down on paper. Also, if his handwriting is still slow, it's really frustrating to try to write down ideas--by the time he gets a word or two written, the thought is lost. I wouldn't expect much if anything yet. You could have him dictate stories and thoughts to you, and you can be his scribe to do the physical act of writing.

If you think he's up for more than that (spelling is pretty good, writing is a good speed etc...), you could have him write notes to friends or relatives (or even email). Short things about his day or something fun he did, or thank you notes for something. You could have him dictate it to you first so that you capture all his thoughts, and then he can try writing it. If he forgets part of what he wanted to say, you'll have a copy for him to refer to (or even copy from).

Another fun thing to do is interactive journaling where you write notes to each other. Buy special notebooks, gel pens, or anything he would think is fun (some kids like gel pen on black paper, for example). Here's a blog post I did on interactive journaling. HTH some! Merry :-)

• 6 months later...

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/495070-i-may-have-found-what-im-looking-for-in-a-program-that-truly-uses-literature-to-study-la-skills/

This thread is helpful for an all in one LA study.  The workbooks are pdf to print out if you want and they have cursive or print.  I am waiting to see if we need them.  

Brave Writer philosophy includes Free Write Friday and Poetry tea time on Tuesday.  I am keeping with those for now and plan to change over to LLTL as soon as it arrives.  

I am extremely busy and need something for 2 or 3 children at one time.