Menu

Need help with math for non-mathy dd10

MunRoLy

Here’s the story in a nutshell:

We used Everyday math through 4th grade.  Math does not come easily for her and every day began with tears over this curriculum, especially in 4th grade.  This year (her 5th grade year) we left Everyday math forever and have been going through Life of Fred.  She’s just about to finish up Jellybeans.  This year the tears stopped!  She learned long division and memorized her multiplication facts.  She is behind, but at least not crying.

So next year I don’t know what to use.  Math concepts do not come easily to her.  Dh and I are both math majors and math did come easily for us.  She just doesn’t get concepts like prime numbers or place value easily.   And if she gets them one day, they’ll be gone the next.

She’s very creative and loves to write stories, which is why I thought she’d like LOF.  No LDs, she just more of a word girl than a numbers girl.

What curriculum would you suggest for this type of child?  I don’t want to continue with LOF because it seems more geared to a mathy child who grasps things more quickly.

Thanks!

Saxon, NOT because I like Saxon in GENERAL for 1st generation MOMS, but because of YOUR description of YOUR daughter. Each lesson has a portion to be read by the student that is easy to understand for wordy kids. They honestly can usually self-teach themselves. Mathematicians moms often complain the series is not deep or wide enough, but it looks like you are looking for a shallower and narrower curriculum for your daughter that is unlikely to be pursuing a STEM career, right? And one that maximizes her wordy strengths?

Professor B is another option for the immediate time, if you are looking more at remediation than plugging her into an ongoing curriculum. It's narrow, but very conceptual. 3 fairly inexpensive books cover about K-7. It's pretty teacher intensive, but doesn't require purchased manipulatives. By narrowing things down, you can sometimes still go deep with some kids that cannot handle wide and deep at the same time.

The Amish Study Time math and the Mennonite Rod and Staff texts might be worth taking a look at. I've used Study Time and think it's adaptable and good for wordy kids. The readings are much shorter and direct than Saxon. There are a lot of choices for adding more review when needed, but clear direction on what are the core lessons. The scope is narrow than Saxon, but not as narrow as Professor B.

If you are looking for validation of and guidance in pulling back with math a bit with your daughter, you might like the following books:

Simply Charlotte Mason Mathematics

How to Tutor

Guide to American Christian Education